Travel Translations

For discussing international ostomy issues, including matters relating to the International Ostomy Association (IOA) and its member associations.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.
Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Just_Doug

Travel Translations

Post by Just_Doug »

My job is increasing in travel to foreign countries and I would like to have a card explaining my ostomy in the languages of the countries I am visiting. I had a less than pleasant experience in a France airport a few years back and don't want a repeat "performance".

I received help from IOA contacts last year when I went to China and am now looking for help translating this information to languages for my next trip (departing June 13). The languages I am requesting translation in are the following: Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish and Polish.

I thought by posting on the discussion board, others would have this available to them but I don't see anywhere to upload this information but I am happy to email them to anyone who is interested.

Below is the text I am looking to have translated.
This is to certify that the person named on this certificate has had a surgical operation which makes it necessary for him/her to wear at all times a bag attached to the abdomen to collect excretion from the bowel or bladder. If it is necessary to examine this bag, a qualified medical practioner should be present because any interference may cause leakage and great discomfort and embarrassment to the wearer. The bag may be supported by a belt. If so, this may have metal parts which register on a metal detector. The owner of this certificate may also be carrying an emergency supply pack consisting of spare bags, surgical dressings, etc, in addition to his/her main luggage. It is essential that these emergency supplies remain intact and are not mislaid.

Thank you to anyone who is able to translate this for me.

Regards,
Doug
'87 Crohn's-Ileo
'88 J-Pouch
'02 Ileo
Past-President Hartford ASG
Director UOAA MBoD
Melanie

Re: Travel Translations

Post by Melanie »

I would suggest posting this on the general board also!
Melanie (22/College Grad)
Mitrofanoff 18 yrs
Colostomy 13 yrs
Latex Allergy
gemma

Post by gemma »

I can help out with the Spanish translation - here's what I've got:

Se hace constar que el titular de este certificado ha tenido una intervención quirúrgica que hace necesario que se lleve, en todo momento, una bolsa que se sujeta al abdomen para acumular excremento del intestino o vejiga. Si es necesario examinar el bolso, un proveedor calificado de servicios de salud debe estar presente, porque cualquier intromisión puede causar fuga, molestia, y verguenza al llevador del bolso. El bolso puede estar sostenido por un cinturon. Puede que el cinturon tenga partes metalicos que se reconocen por detector de metales. El titular de este certificado tambien puede tener un paquete de suminstros de emergencia que consiste de otros bolsos, vendajes y apositos quirúrgicos, etc, ademas de su maleta principal. Es imperativo que los suminstors de emergencia se mantengan intacto.

I wasn't entirely sure what you meant by "mislaid" at the end so I left that part out so far, but if you clarify a little I can fix that.

Also, if you want, I can ask some friends for translations for the other languages.
Just_Doug

Post by Just_Doug »

Gemma,
Thank you. "mislaid" meant that they should be carefully placed back in the suitcase. Just trying to reinforce that they "handle with care".
Thanks again.
Regards,
Doug
'87 Crohn's-Ileo
'88 J-Pouch
'02 Ileo
Past-President Hartford ASG
Director UOAA MBoD