Please share your travel stories

For discussing international ostomy issues, including matters relating to the International Ostomy Association (IOA) and its member associations.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.
Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Linda in NJ

Please share your travel stories

Post by Linda in NJ »

As an aid to people who might visit this site looking for information about international travel, it would be great if people would post some stories about trips they have taken and how they have managed with their stoma. I've been fortunate to make several trips to other countries and cultures, in the 38 years I have had my ileostomy, and I'm sure many other readers here have as well. Please tell us all about it!
Taylor9

Re: Please share your travel stories

Post by Taylor9 »

Hi,Linda.I have not been able to go on a plane,since my operation.I am not scared of flying .Its the small bathroom
that bother me, I would love to go to australia, lived there when i was younger,Its a long flight so would welcome some of your stories..Looking forward to some advice. I have no bladder.so like you have to manage my wee bag,Thanks Margaret,
Linda in NJ

Post by Linda in NJ »

Hi Margaret,

So sorry to be getting back to you just now*. July was a busy month with the Youth Rally, a major happy family event, and preparation for the UOAA national conference. By the way, at the conference we had a presenter who lives in Australia ... he and his ileostomy have taken many long plane trips. So it can be done.

Have you any experience using a leg bag? For such a trip I would think it might be useful - it adds to the capacity and when you get into the tiny airplane bathrooms you only have to put your foot up and drain the pouch strapped to your leg. No sitting down!

One website you might want to check for travel tips is www.AllCampusCard.com/ostomy.html - Bob Huber was another presenter at the UOAA conference. (If you are within range of Reno, NV, plan to join us in 2011).

Linda

* I will send a Private Message too, in case you don't plan to check back here for a while.
Linda in NJ

Post by Linda in NJ »

Hi all,

In the time since my original post seeking stories, we took a trip of our own ... to Hungary. Had a couple days to explore the beautiful city of Budapest and took two relatively short trips by train. One was into the plains of eastern Hungary, where we stayed in a spa hotel for 2 nights, and the other a day-trip north to Ezstergom, a small city on the Danube that is the seat of the Catholic Church in Hungary. Weather was lovely, people friendly, food good, and we had a great time.

One minor fly in the ointment was changing planes at Heathrow. We didn't realize that even though we were transferring within the same terminal, we would have to go thru security again, so we ended up having to toss 3 bottles of water we had purchased. Grrrrr. But you learn that costly lesson and you go on. Lines long and the process interesting. Meds and ostomy supplies in the carry-on (I never carry scissors) and pouch on my person not an issue at all. My husband always has to tell the TSA or other agents about his knee replacements so he gets wanded and they often come across his ostomy pouch in that process. He talks to the male agents using some gritty man-to-man language, I guess, and they understand.

Many of the tourist sites have a WC where you pay the attendant a little bit for the blessing of having a facility handy, and get a private (if not always particularly modernized) toilet, running water, flowers in a vase, etc. Varies from place to place of course, but that's part of the joy of traveling.

Here are a couple photos:
1. the "Pest" side of the Danube, taken from the Citadel on the "Buda" side. Our hotel (Hotel Zara) is quite close to the church spire in the center of the photo, which was itself next to the central market where we bought packets of Hungarian paprika as souvenir gifts.

2. In Ezstergom, the domed Basilica and another church.

Taylor9

Post by Taylor9 »

Hi, Linda. I am happy you had a good wee holiday.pictures are lovely.Take care hope your in good health :)
Kind regards Margaret.