Indiana Pouch irrigating questions

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Ant

Indiana Pouch irrigating questions

Post by Ant »

Sometimes i wonder if i maybe i am never getting all my pee out, Like its sitting on the bottom of my pouch.
I am not good at irrigating Most always it seams like a waste of time, that i am not getting out what i should.
What kind & size cath do you use to irrigate?
Some time i try till i end up with blood then i stop.
Please help me.
Thanks
Darolyn
squid56

Re: Indiana Pouch irrigating questions

Post by squid56 »

Hi Darolyn,you should be irrigating with the same catheter you use to cath yourself. How much are you using when you irrigate? Is it all coming back out? Do you get much mucus out? Are you measuring what you put in and what comes back out? It may give you a better idea if you measure.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I do get what i put in back or close to it, I have so much mucus even i just cath..
Thanks
Darolyn
spunkylady

Post by spunkylady »

I also have an Indiana pouch. I do not think you should be irrigating until you see blood.
As said previously you should use the same catheter . I usually have a fair amount of mucus when I empty my pouch, and when irrigating
I do not see as much. But you should still irrigate. I am not sure if you ever completely empty you pouch, howver when you are finishing you can move the cathe around to make sure you get the urine higher up.

I am not sure how to answer your flat tummy question. I have not had a flat tummy for years. Are you saying the surgery made your tummy not flat?
I do see a diffence in size on by belly where the pouch & stoma are, however it can not be signifigant because my daughters say I am full of it???
squid56

Post by squid56 »

As long as you are getting out pretty much what you put in then don't worry. As far as mucus it does get better with time, though it will always be there. Certain foods like dairy products increase the body's mucus production so if you eat/drink lots of dairy try cutting back on it.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Thanks Do you french 14 male to cath?
Darolyn
squid56

Post by squid56 »

Yes that is my size, though I use a coude one made by Coloplast. In the beginning I used a smaller one- a 12F but as time went on I found I needed the 14.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Thanks so much for all your answers
Darolyn