Ostomyland - Ostomy Support Weekly Saturday Chat

This is the place to post announcements for chat rooms, support group special events and newsletters (please do not post such messages in the regular discussion forums).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Kathy_from_England

Ostomyland - Ostomy Support Weekly Saturday Chat

Post by Kathy_from_England »

Main Chat is Saturday 8pm UK Time which is 3pm EST ish.

========================

All ostomists welcome, whatever the condition, whatever the age.
Maybe you face a possible ostomy in the future? Or simply want more
information? All are welcome.

=========

http://www.ostomyland.org/ostomyboardipb/index.php

(you need to register an account first, this is quick and easy to do - plus it's free).

Then click on the 'chat' tab at the top.

Here is a graphical overview of the main chat screen areas and what the various buttons do.
http://www.ostomyland.org/ostomyboardip ... enhelp.png

=========

Want to chat another time? The room is open 24/7. Drop by and see if anyone
is there.

Look forward to seeing you in the meeting Saturday night, the weekend or later on in the week.

Kathy :)

(edited 30th December 2006 to update a few links).
(edited 12th August 2007 to update the server from zirc to fef and add the time zone link).
(edited 15th December 2007 to remove dead time zone link).
(edited 2nd February 2008 to update the java links)
(edited 10th July 2010 to update the server from fef to ostomyland.irc)
(edited 6th November 2010 to update the server to irc.olandchat.com)
(edited 31st November 2011 to update the chat room link)
Last edited by Anonymous on 2011-10-31 07:03:38, edited 12 times in total.
Eric E

chitty chat chat

Post by Eric E »

I made it to the chat a few weeks back. Everyone was nice. I wish I had time to go more. Nice mix of people from the UK, people from the States, and Shaz (gets his own category). I recommend you all try it out, at least once! Out.
Kathy_from_England

Thanks Engdaddy. :)
Kathy_from_England

Ostomyland Reminder

Main Ostomy Chat is Saturday 8pm UK Time which is 3pm EST ish.

Maybe you face a possible ostomy in the future? Or simply want more
information? All are welcome.

To join Ostomyland via java go to:
http://www.ostomysupport.info/chat.html (Jason's page)

Or http://autoimmunity.co.uk/chat/ostomylandchat.html (Kathy's back up page)

and join us in the ostomyland chat room from there. A free-to-use
Java Client is embedded into the page that is dead easy to use.
Nothing to download.

If you have any questions or need help getting into chat, email or PM me.

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

i'm not sure what the problem is, but my dorm computer won't let this load.. it start to connect, but that's it.. i think it may be JAVA, or somthing like that.. any things I can try so i can get in? i've liked this chat room. i actually became really in to this chatroom right before I left..
Melanie (22/College Grad)
Mitrofanoff 18 yrs
Colostomy 13 yrs
Latex Allergy
Kathy_from_England

Hi Melanie,
usually I could give you a link to a help post but unfortunately ostomyland is experiencing a temporary database problem.

Grr!

So I'll try and describe what to do.

Go to
http://www.ostomysupport.info/chat.html

and put your nick in as usual.

The 4th box down is a drop down box. Click on it and you'll see a list of servers.
Pick 'rectum.fef.net' [I kid you not! :P]

then click on 'connect now'.

If you still get the same problem, repeat but try a different server from that dropdown list.

Let me know if you still have problems.
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

thanks it worked..
Melanie (22/College Grad)
Mitrofanoff 18 yrs
Colostomy 13 yrs
Latex Allergy
Kathy_from_England

yay!! :D :D
Kathy_from_England

Kathy_from_England wrote:Hi Melanie,
usually I could give you a link to a help post but unfortunately ostomyland is experiencing a temporary database problem.
It's back up now. :D

If anyone else had the same problem as Melanie, this post shows you how to select a different server on java:
http://ostomyland.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1275
Kathy_from_England

Re: Ostomyland - Ostomy Support Weekly Saturday IRC Chat

Ostomyland Reminder

Please join us for our first weekly chat on our own server. All ostomists welcome, whatever the condition, whatever the age.
Maybe you face a possible ostomy in the future? Or simply want more information? All are welcome.

Java Chat Room

and join us in the ostomyland chat room from there. A free-to-use Java Client is embedded into the page that is dead easy to use.
Nothing to download.

If you use mIRC, or Besirc or some other IRC Chat Client, here's the NEW
server details you need to connect to Ostomyland:

Server: irc.ostomylandchat.com
Port: 6667
Channel Name: #ostomyland

If you prefer a specially configured version of mIRC is now available which will take people directly to the new channel on the new server. The download link can be found here

WebTV Users, you need to use your own TV based software to join us -
included free as part of the WebTV browser software. Use the server
and port and channel
info when requested by your software to join.

What Happened To The Main Site's Java Chat Client?
The java chat client which was used on the Ostomyland main site was called "jPilot java IRC Client". Unfortunately, in 2009 this program ceased development, and the security certificate used within it has now expired meaning that connections made on it are no longer secure and could possibly leave your computer open to a hacker or virus attack.

Because of the expiry of the security certificate, and the end of the jPilot's development, the decision has been made to remove the client from active service on the website. This means that anyone who visits the chat page now on Ostomyland's main site, will only be offered the message board's chat room tab as a way of entering the chat room via a browser. Obviously all this does not affect the mIRC type programs, so that remains available as always.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused, but it is out of our hands due to the end in development of the program - its a sad day for Oland as we've used jPilot since the chat room started nearly 12 years ago.

However...
This week we've successfully transferred over to our own chat server. Hopefully by the end of summer we'll be able to offer a secure version of the jPilot java once again. :)
Sinfulsot

Post by Sinfulsot »

It'll be Chat-licious!!
Stomas are red
Asphyxia is blue
Yes I am very morbid
And darn cynical too
Kathy_from_England

Invitation to the 8th Annual Oland Spooktacular!

It's the annual Ostomyland Halloween Chat Room Party!

Haunting an Ostomyland Chat Room near you!
From
Oct 31st 2010, 6pm UK time (GMT)
onwards, and through the time-zones!

Fancy Dress (i.e. Spooky Nicknames) essential!
(Use /nick command to change your name in there!)
ie /nick Count_Duckula

Party events include....

Ghouls (who's) hiding behind that spooky nickname - can you spot the Chat Room Regular under their spooky nickname disguise! Followed by a public vote on the message board poll to determine who had the best nickname (voting from a shortlist chosen by the ops).

Make us all pleased we wear bags by telling us YOUR spooky ghost stories! (Subject to planning consent and Health and Safety permission for erecting the camp fire inside the chatroom.)

The hunt for Spooky Monster will still be on! If someone can't find him but you have, maybe you can drop some spooky clues in channel. Who ya gonna call?!?!

The annual spooktacular chat room party is one of the community's favourite events of the year, and so we hope you can join us on the Sunday night for the 8th Annual Ostomyland Spooktacular!

See you there!

Just to clarify the nickname swapping in the chat room.

As most people know in the channel rules we ask people to keep to one nickname as much as possible to prevent confusion over who is who etc. The exception to this being folks adding "away" or whatever to the end of their nickname when idling etc which is perfectly fine.

For the halloween event, this rule is relaxed so y'all can have fun with the nicknames :)

After the halloween event we would like to ask that all users go back to their original names again.

Also, during the event, if the ops cant work out who someone is then we may msg you to ask who you are lol, just so we don't get totally lost in the fancy dress too. :P Needless to say we wont leak the secret of who you are during the event!!

After the event we tend to publish a list of who was who so people can see if their suspicions were right. Most secret identities are revealed during the night, but some folks miss out on the big reveals so we post as many names as we can on the board afterwards.

For the members who wish to access the chat room using the board's chat feature:
If you want to log in to chat wearing a spooky nickname and are using the message board chat room client, then you need to change your board display name, otherwise if you log straight into the chat room you'll using your board name! Also, the board limits display name changes to 3 in 30 days so if you wish to use more than one spooky nickname we suggest you use the old http://ostomyland.com/mainsite/jpilot-java-chat/, or an IRC Client, such as the Ostomyland mIRC pre-configured setup.

Kathy_from_England

Ostomyland Reminder

Maybe you face a possible ostomy in the future? Or simply want more information? All are welcome.

Java Chat Room

and join us in the ostomyland chat room from there. A free-to-use Java Client is embedded into the page that is dead easy to use.
Nothing to download.

If you use mIRC, or Besirc or some other IRC Chat Client, here's the NEW (NOVEMBER 2010)
server details you need to connect to Ostomyland:

Server: irc.olandchat.com
Port: 6667
Channel Name: #ostomyland

If you prefer a specially configured version of mIRC is now available which will take people directly to the new channel on the new server. The download link can be found here

WebTV Users, you need to use your own TV based software to join us - included free as part of the WebTV browser software. Use the server and port and channel info above when requested by your software to join.

Kathy_from_England

Re: Ostomyland - Ostomy Support Weekly Saturday Chat

Your Invitation to the Ostomyland Spooktacular 2011

It's the annual Ostomyland Halloween Chat Room Party!

Haunting an Ostomyland Chat Room near you!
From
Oct 31st 2010, 6pm UK time (GMT)
onwards, and through the time-zones!

Fancy Dress (i.e. Spooky Nicknames) essential!

Party events include the popular....

Ghouls (who's) hiding behind that spooky nickname - can you spot the Chat Room Regular under their spooky nickname disguise! Followed by a public vote on the message board poll to determine who had the best nickname (voting from a shortlist chosen by the ops).

Make us all pleased we wear bags by telling us YOUR spooky ghost stories!

The hunt for Spooky Monster will still be on! If someone can't find him but you have, maybe you can drop some spooky clues in channel. Who ya gonna call?!?!

The annual spooktacular chat room party is one of the community's favourite events of the year, and so we hope you can join us on the Monday night for the 9th Annual Ostomyland Spooktacular!

See you there!