They're coming after our benefits

A place where Military Veterans with Ostomies and Diversions can discuss items of common interest.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Rotorhead

They're coming after our benefits

Post by Rotorhead »

99-

So by now you should all be aware of the massive cuts the DoD will be making over the next 5 fiscal years. Huge, groundbreaking stuff; affecting major programs, personnel, everything.

The first wave of entitlement cuts are being proposed for veterans already, as part of the 2013 budget. These include increasing Tricare enrollment fees significantly, rising deductibles, increases in annual "tricare for life" fees, greater co-pays for drugs and prescriptions, and so on.

I don't know if the increase in co-pays affects ostomy supplies - to me the point is moot as the argument is larger than just ostomates.

So, if you care, let your congressmen know about it - preferably through our powerful lobbying agencies such as the Military Coalition (www.themilitarycoalition.org), MOAA or the VFW (I was recently recruited, as Mrs. Rotorhead won the VFW state prize for outstanding educator). MOAA and VFW are part of the Military Coalition, who are leading the opposition to these measures.

Bottom line - drastic cuts are here; unless we do all we can to protect our benefits they will be taken from us little by little.

V/r and S/f
-RH
CRC, finishing chemo Sep 08
http://rotorheadsblog.blogspot.com/
Jimbob

Re: They're coming after our benefits

Post by Jimbob »

I agree with Rotor Head.

Get Active,,,,,,do something,,,,,,,Do not just sit on your Duff.
wolfva

Post by wolfva »

Usually I'm against entitlements. In this case, I'm with you. These were benefits that were promised our vets when they joined up; the government OWES it to the men and women who have fought to defend this country to help them with their health. It sickens me that the government will cut benefits to the people who actually fought for the country, but refuse to touch the freebies tossed out to the welfare crowd who live solely to leech off society.*

*note: that statement does NOT apply to the people on welfare because they have no choice and intend to get off as soon as they can.
poo girl

Post by poo girl »

This is important to me because:

1. You vets fought for my right to be here today.
2. DME is a fundamental need to insure our dignity.
3. This will trickle down to the rest of us.

Thank you and God Bless,
poo (Lisa)
UC colon rupt 9/06 perm ileo/procto 4/07 stoma rev 9/14
Everyday I wake up is a good day!
Dion Hice

Post by Dion Hice »

Hey guys I wanted to let you know that I did some reasearch in the benifits and what i am hearing is the new rule will effect new Soldiers and soldiers who retire after Oct 01 2012 All others will be Grandfarthered
Rotorhead

Post by Rotorhead »

Dion, I think we are talking two different things.

The retirement entitlement IS being examined - although no decision has been made - for future service members. The latest proposal is that the retirement benefit will not be given at 20 years; that will only mark eligibility. Retirement benefits would kick in at retirement age (yet to be determined, probably 65). This would save DoD big bucks. SECDEF has already proclaimed this is OFF THE TABLE for current servicemembers, and as you implied would only affect those entering service after the new policy is in effect (if that ever occurs).

The increases in tricare costs and other hits I mentioned will affect all current retirees and veterans eligible for those benefits - we WILL see those increases starting in 2013, it's almost a done deal. With the current DoD fiscal environment I see this as an absolute minimum hit - the starting point at which all further benefit reductions will follow. These are the issues that we need to watch.

I'd rather have an aircraft carrier and pay $10 more for my meds...but it's a slippery slope that needs to be monitored by those it affects.

If you've got references otherwise - bust 'em out, we all need to know this stuff.

/r
RH
Dion Hice

Post by Dion Hice »

Sorry i believe we were talking about 2 things but on the tricare, It was told to me that it wouldn't effect allready retired but future retiries. I am at Fort Bragg and that is what tricare was saying here but I really didn't get the feel they were 100%. I get 100% Disability so I dont get retirement, but my wife and I use tricare so it better not go up..... Thanks for the post DIon
Ian Hep

Post by Ian Hep »

I know what you mean 27 years as Royal Air Force logistics and they are doing the same here. Our pensions are part of the main MOD budget so they compete with the serving guys wages, parts supply and new budgets. When you leave if before age 55 you recive the pension of that date but no increases untill age 55 mine was great after taxes $87 so on $947 for 27 years from 1973 to 2000, have a look at UK history and see where we were involved including special services
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

If yyou are as Retired Vet. or will Retire take a look at this link and respond as you feel led.

Jimbob

http://mrgrg-ms.org/mrgrg-proc-02.html
Rotorhead

Post by Rotorhead »

From the early bird 4/24, some good news:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OMB: Veterans Affairs Budget Is Exempt From Sequestration
By Bob Brewin

The Veterans Affairs Department's budget is exempt from sequestration, the White House Office of Management and Budget said in a letter to the Government Accountability Office today, a decision hailed by the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

The Budget Control Act signed by President Obama in August 2011 lumped the budgets for the Defense, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs departments, along with the National Nuclear Security Administration, the intelligence community management account and portions of the State Department budget, into a new "security" category. If those entities fail to adhere to spending caps under the law, they would be subject to spending cuts spread equally across their budgets -- a process known as sequestration.

Steven Aitken, OMB's deputy general counsel, said the VA budget is protected from sequestration by provisions in the 1985 Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act. Aitken told Julia Matta, assistant general counsel for appropriations and budget at GAO, that the 1985 law trumps the Budget Control Act and "the conclusion we have reached is that all programs administered by the VA, including veterans' medical care, are exempt from sequestration."

Raymond Kelley, legislative director for the VFW, said in a statement, "veterans can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that VA programs are exempt from sequestration. There was a real fear that returning funds to the Treasury would cause VA to ration services and extend wait times for appointments as more service members return home from war."

------------------------------------------------------
So - should the budget go to sequestration (a good chance), VA programs will be off the table - good news. The other side of the coin is that the legislators who will be working hard to avoid sequestration (which will gut the military) will likely look to cut non-defense related programs...so it's a lose-lose. Either the budget goes into sequestration and we have a hollow-force generation, or it doesn't and we likely lose some of our veteran's benefits. So, if you have a chance, leave a burning bag of dog poop on the porch of the nearest politician, out of principle.

-RH