Stoma Stenosis--Second urinary diversion

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
sal50

Stoma Stenosis--Second urinary diversion

Post by sal50 »

Hi to all,

After 8 weeks I have developed a case of stoma stenosis :cry: :cry: :cry:

My stoma in the naval has developed scar tissue and I have been unable to get a catheter through, I started to have
some difficulty getting the catheter through about 4 weeks ago.

It seems according to the Urologist and easy fix, just remove the scar tissue at and office app't. I am really scared has to how
much and how frequent I will have to have the scar tissue removed. I scar real easy and my pelvic wall is full of adhesions
(Scar tissue). I realize there is no way to know it just seems like a lot to deal with. :cry:. I still do ISC through my
urethra and now have no urge to void which sometimes runs me into high volumes.

My urethra is recessed and very difficult to ISC although I can get bye. It would be SO........MUCH easier to cath through the
naval, and for the short time it worked. I LOVED IT

I FEEL LIKE ONE STEP UP TWO STEPS BACK :( :(

Take care all,
Sal

Thanks for letting me vent, I just need somewhere to go with this NIGHTMARE of a bladder :x :x
Failed nerve stimulation x4
Failed Mitrofanoff
Augment Cystoplasty w/ Monti
squid56

Re: Stoma Stenosis--Second urinary diversion

Post by squid56 »

Sal, my first stoma for my ileal conduit stenosed and they ended up redoing it under anesthesia. They had to pull it up and out and made it bigger. My surgeon also did something to it so it would not stenose again. Then about 2 years later I had the whole thing converted to my Indiana continent pouch.Years ago this stoma also had some trouble and whenever I had lots of difficulty my uro would have me put in a Foley cather and leave it in there for a week or more. Being that it is almost 17 years old now I no longer have that problem. Have tried leaving a Foley in yours?
sal50

Post by sal50 »

squid56 wrote:Sal, my first stoma for my ileal conduit stenosed and they ended up redoing it under anesthesia. They had to pull it up and out and made it bigger. My surgeon also did something to it so it would not stenose again. Then about 2 years later I had the whole thing converted to my Indiana continent pouch.Years ago this stoma also had some trouble and whenever I had lots of difficulty my uro would have me put in a Foley cather and leave it in there for a week or more. Being that it is almost 17 years old now I no longer have that problem. Have tried leaving a Foley in yours?
Hi Squid:

Yes, I have a 12-french catheter in until next week. I have to go back and see him 8/6/09. I am wondering if I could put a catheter in at
night hook it up to a foley bag???? if that would help keep the stoma open, and if It would solve the problem also of high volumes of urine, keeping my bladder drained has well. :roll:

Thanks for your reply, at least I know I am not the only one this happens too. My stoma is in my naval and called the monti
continent diversion. I also still have my bladder and it is stretched so the incont of urine stopped.

OH WHAT A GIFT THAT IS :D :D :D :D

Thanks so much,
Sally
Failed Mitrofanoff
squid56

Post by squid56 »

Sally, sorry I have not answered till now- I was away camping :) . Yes, of course you can hook up to night drainage if it is a foley. I would check with your uro if he/she is okay with that, but I wouldn't see why not. Judith
sal50

Post by sal50 »

:D Thanks Squid56:

I am having more problems with my stoma leaking, and my bladder has been enlarged with adding the small bowel.
I have blood in my urine and pretty sure I am infected. I have added more projection so my cloths do not get wet,
but, it really bothers me :cry: :cry:
Everything went so.........good the last 8 weeks until now. :(

I am now back on the leg bag and attaching the foley bag at night I have an app't to see my Uro thursday. I can see
some kind of tissue growing around the stoma and LEAKING all this has started the last 2 days.

Wish me luck :wink:
Sal
Failed Mitrofanoff
rosemaryileostomy

Post by rosemaryileostomy »

What did they do to make sure the second stoma did not stenose in again? Rosemary
squid56

Post by squid56 »

How are you doing now?