Hernia Repair

A place where Military Veterans with Ostomies and Diversions can discuss items of common interest.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
bluegrass71

Hernia Repair

Post by bluegrass71 »

Urostamate since 2006. Large, make that very large Peristomal Hernia; so far no pain but makes wearing clothes difficult plus issues with base plates, Now using CONVEX Coloplast, two piece. ,
Here is my question: Any vets have had hernia repair and was it successful? I have been told by several surgeons that unless there is a real problem leave it alone as repairs are not very successful and lead to infections, moving the conduit to other side and other stuff.
Like to hear about any first hand experiences.
Thanks
Mike ET

Re: Hernia Repair

Post by Mike ET »

Bluegrass 71,

I am inclined to accept the caution expressed by the surgeons. Abdominal, especially peristomal, hernias are notorious for recurring after attempted repairs. There are many causative factors for peristomal hernias occurring and recurring and chief among them is the actual act of cutting into the abdominal wall. In short, making any kind of hole, in order to create a stomal opening, into the abdominal wall invites the increased opportunities for hernias to develop. Larger hernias that are without symptoms or complications are less likely to be problematic and may well be left alone or treated conservatively (non surgically).

If the commonly available elastic hernia support garments prove ineffective, consider having a custom made corset - yes, I typed corset - fitted for you. Sometimes old fashioned support garments can be more effective at controlling for hernias than the elastic ones commonly touted in today's marketplace.

Mike ET
ostomy can present an identity crisis of image and function, and require tradeoffs.
bluegrass71

Post by bluegrass71 »

Thanks. I do have a good hernia support belt; Wish my surgeon had talked to me about it but he did not. I got it from this Forum. I agree with your entire assessment and will rest easy until something bad happens.
drive on
Paul
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I agree with Mike;

I had a peristomal hernia, had it repaired with synthetic mesh, it came back the mesh entangled in the small bowel resulting in a massive block requiring another repair and resiting of the stoma to the opposite side.

I wish like you that the surgeon had recommended a hernia belt from the git go.

I would live with the hernia as long as it does not cause other issues.

Jimbob