problem with stoma location

This is the place to post announcements for chat rooms, support group special events and newsletters (please do not post such messages in the regular discussion forums).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ettenaej75

problem with stoma location

Post by ettenaej75 »

I have had my colostomy since April 2013. I was not mesured before surgery so my stoma is almost on my waist. I am having troible with leakage because I am a little chubby aoumd the waist and I cannot get a good fit. Any suggestion would be very helpful. I do not want more surgey to move this.
SeaQuest

Re: problem with stoma location

Post by SeaQuest »

How close to your belt line is it? I also had my surgery earlier this year, and most of my initial worries dealt around the fears of leakage and concealment possibilities as, pre-surgery, I wore slacks and a tucked in shirt each day. I was fearful that I would no longer be able to do this as my stoma is about 1.5" above the belt line. However, when I returned to work I was able to continue wearing my pre-surgery clothes by placing an ACE bandage immediately beside the bag. This relieved some of the pressure created by placing a belt over a portion of the bag and also allows for the discharge to flow to the bottom of the bag.
Colectomy with Permanent Ileostomy - July 2013 (due to Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis)
ettenaej75

Post by ettenaej75 »

My stoma is touching my waist. It is very hard to find pants I can wear that will not inerfer with the bag. Someone suggested I talk to the surgoen about moving it, but I don't relish that idea.
SeaQuest

Post by SeaQuest »

I'm going to have to defer additional surgery to someone else. As mentioned earlier, my stoma is near the belt line so I'm able use an ACE bandage to relieve the pressure of wearing clothing (and still have empty correctly into my bag). However, having the stoma directly under the belt line is different. I don't know what is involved in actually moving a stoma. I hope someone with actual knowledge writes in to help you. Best of luck!
Colectomy with Permanent Ileostomy - July 2013 (due to Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis)