thinking about having a k pouch

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
gusziggy

thinking about having a k pouch

Post by gusziggy »

have a ileostomy for 12 years, always having leaks, plus the cost of all the supplies , I,m thinking about having a k pouch done, have no recum so this is my only option, who has had this done, any info will be of great help.
BillV

Re: thinking about having a k pouch

Post by BillV »

I assume that you have tried other appliances and consulted with a good ostomy nurse to attempt a solution to your leakage problem. A large percentage of k pouch and the closely related BCIR procedures are performed for those with problematic ileostomies or those who desire a better quality of life than the ileostomy has provided them. The patient satisfaction rate for both procedure is very high, but some experience complications such as pouchitis, valve failure and fistulas, which can generally be controlled with antibiotics, diet and surgery. Under 10% require pouch removal and return to an ileostomy. There is considerable information about both procedures available online that will be helpful in deciding what course of action to take.

I had to have my j pouch removed due to repeated high grade dysplasia in the rectal cuff. I also researched the alternatives to an ileostomy and elected to have a BCIR. The surgery was complicated, but I had a full recovery about 4 months post-op. I have had a BCIR for almost 3 years and enjoy a very good quality of life. I can eat almost anything I want, do all of the activities a “normal” person does, have no leakage of stool or gas, no skin irritation, and cover the small stoma located below the belt line with an inexpensive pad. I feel completely comfortable using the men’s locker room at the Y, enjoy intimacy with no restrictions, and no one knows I have it unless I decide to tell them. I empty my pouch about 4-5 times a day at my convenience with a small plastic catheter and figure that the cost of all my supplies is under $200 per year. While these options offer a good solution to your ileostomy problems, I would encourage you to thoroughly research them before making your decision. Best of luck!
Flemmart

Re: thinking about having a k pouch

Post by Flemmart »

Hi, there is alot of information in this forum to research. And, at the www.jpouch.org in the KKorner. I suggest to research all the posts and comments and then make a list of questions. I've have my kock pouch for 35 years. The key will be finding a surgeon skilled in the continent ostomy. Best to you!
Ileo 1979 Kock pouch 1980