Leaking Iliostomy

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
btrenter

Leaking Iliostomy

Post by btrenter »

I'm new to this group. I posted a reply to someone's post about painful stomas, but I haven't seen a lot of posts about leaking. I am having a lot of issues with leakage. I had ER surgery five weeks ago for toxic mega colon. Apparently, I'm lucky to be alive, according to the doctors. Any tips on preventing leakage?
Thank you!!
Beth
Also, if anyone rides horses, I would love advice on that topic!
beth
To Good Health

Re: Leaking Iliostomy

Post by To Good Health »

Hi Beth,
Sorry to hear you are having leaking problems - very frustrating. I suggest you post your question on the general ostomy board, as that gets a lot more 'traffic'.
The ER surgery must have been scary and to wake up with an ostomy - not a good surprise. I believe Waterboy just posted on the general board about having emergency surgery for something similar. I had emergency surgery too and woke up with a new stoma but already had an ostomy so that part wasn't too shocking. All the best,
To Good Health
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
highcountry

Post by highcountry »

I tried many different products before finding a bag that worked for me. It's also very important that you are cleaning the area thoroughly to make sure it adheres properly. It was necessary for me to lie down when applying the bag, and keep pressure around it for at least 30 minutes before getting up. Bending over caused issues with the seal breaking open and I had to limit very physical activities. Best case the bag remained in place without leaking for three days.
Emefaawo

Post by Emefaawo »

im not sure how late I am, but I would recommend using a stoma paste. Before putting the bag on, put the stoma paste around your stoma. It's sort of like thick toothpaste and you circle it around your stoma, wet your finger and gently press around.
Lorraine1956

Post by Lorraine1956 »

My husband has an ileostomy, 14 weeks now. His stoma is now flat to his stomach. We needed convexety, so we use colorplast pouch longer wear. Just by chance he left some air in the bag and now the output falls to the bottom. Leaking has not been an issue. An occasonal leak, but for the most part we are sleeping through the night.
lisa1999

Post by lisa1999 »

Lorraine1956 It sounds as though my stoma is similar to your husbands I to use convex appliance as well. Im not able to sleep through the night though. Around 3 am I wakw up my hand goes straight to my bag because I get the since something isnt right. Usually I just have a extremly tight bag. I take care of it and im fine but some days if I dont wake up at that since I have a leaking mess I find about 5am. Im hoping my reconnect will go well enough that I can start getting a better nights sleep. But things sure did improve after finding out I needed the convex appliance. Leaks were constant it seemed till then.