Ileostomy Reversal in 3 days 3/23/16

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
alaskachik1269

Ileostomy Reversal in 3 days 3/23/16

Post by alaskachik1269 »

I was diagnosed with stage 3 colorectal cancer Sept 2014. After 36 radiations treatments, 88 Chemo treatments, 27 procedures and 2 major surgeries, I will be getting my ileostomy reversed March 23 - in just 3 days. I need help on what I should take to the hospital with me - what should I shop for and have at home - what can I expect. Any success stories to help me with my confidence? Thank you so much for your time :)
Doris+

Re: Ileostomy Reversal in 3 days 3/23/16

Post by Doris+ »

Hi Alaskachik. Please read my posting: 6 month post takedown ileo. You'll find a lot of general info. How much remaining colon you have will be a big determining factor re the difficulties you have. The more colon...the less diarrhea. But even if you have a good amount of colon, you still may have difficulties with liquid stool at first. Have a good supply of Imodium on hand. You can take up to 8 per day (it's otc and Rx). You will need a script for the lomotil. I found the thin sanitary pads very helpful and still use them. Butt rash can be difficult at first. Get some Butt Paste. Eat things that generally stop you up....mashed potatoes, bread, rice. Use baby wipes...not TP. For the hospital discharge, I just wore the same cloths I had on at admittance. In hospital, I think the horrible gowns are perfect. One turned to front, another turned toward back. There's usually some drainage and you don't want to mess up good night cloths. I didn't have a drain but my stoma was left "open", with gauze covering it. It wasn't too messy. Ask the nurse for a double layer the day you go home if you need it. Understand, the first 3 months or so will be a little difficult....to horrible. Be prepared. Try to keep a positive attitude. Good luck and congrats on your revision. Doris
lisa1999

Post by lisa1999 »

Doris
Where do I find your 6 month post takedown ileo so I may also read this information.
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

Lisa, just click on Doris+ name on the right hand side and you'll have the option to view all her posts. Scroll down until you find the 6 month post.
Did you have your ileo for rectal cancer as I did?
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013