Absorbing tablets

For discussing issues relevant to ostomates and people with diversions between the ages of 18 and 30 (or so).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
griese14

Absorbing tablets

Post by griese14 »

I know some people use absorbing tablets in their ostomy pouch, especially during sleeping hours. It slips my mind though to figure out the name of them. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and what they're called, where to get them?
Crohn's Dx 1997, Ileostomy Jan 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
LPN working on RN
nuttychemist

Re: Absorbing tablets

Post by nuttychemist »

Gah!!! I know what you're talking about... I had to google it and then I gave up and went on my ostomy supplier and there are a bunch of products for absorbing and making the stool thicker in the pouch.

*edit* the link I posted didn't work... here are some product names that I found on my supplier's website :) Hope this helps!

Nu-Sorb
Ile-sorb Absorbent gel packets
ParSorb Absorbent Gel Packets
Gel-X Absorbent Tablets (there are also capsules)
Gen
Yep, I'm a geeky, nerdy, gutless wonder!
PartiallyUnstuffed

Post by PartiallyUnstuffed »

Trio Diamonds are also quite handy. They can be found on the Ostomy Secrets website, under their "favorite" products.
superauntie

Post by superauntie »

I used to use Ile-Sorb and Gel-X in my pouch everyday, but I now only use them at night when I am hooked up to my feeding pump and have mostly liquid output. I prefer the Gel-X tablets, because they are more portable, in my opinion.

Jessie
Mom_in_oh

Post by Mom_in_oh »

I have an ileostomy with short bowel syndrome and therefore, have extremely high output that is very liquid with many problems with leakage.

I have recently heard that solidifying agents can be added to the pouch and that this can be very helpful. I was very excited to hear this and purchased Gel-X tablets.

I used the tablets during the day and at night. I also put different numbers of tablets into the pouch, ranging from 1 - 6 tablets. The tablets barely dissolved and any thickening of the output was minimal. I know from reviews that I have read on line that it does work for other people, but does not for me. I plan on trying other products that were suggested on this forum.

Does anyone have experience as to what may be the problem or any suggestions. Thanks, Mom-in-oh
Cbost

Post by Cbost »

Mom_in_oh wrote:I have an ileostomy with short bowel syndrome and therefore, have extremely high output that is very liquid with many problems with leakage.

I have recently heard that solidifying agents can be added to the pouch and that this can be very helpful. I was very excited to hear this and purchased Gel-X tablets.

I used the tablets during the day and at night. I also put different numbers of tablets into the pouch, ranging from 1 - 6 tablets. The tablets barely dissolved and any thickening of the output was minimal. I know from reviews that I have read on line that it does work for other people, but does not for me. I plan on trying other products that were suggested on this forum.

Does anyone have experience as to what may be the problem or any suggestions. Thanks, Mom-in-oh

Try crushing them before inserting into bag.