irrigation plate

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
steiconi

irrigation plate

Post by steiconi »

I've irrigated with just a sleeve, but usually got leaks, so I got an irrigation plate.
Now, I usually get leaks.

The only time I don't get leaks is when I've just taken off a 2-piece system; the residual adhesive seals the plate onto my skin.
I've tried tightening the belt almost to the point of pain, still get leaks.

I suspect the problem is a combination of lush, rolling skin contours and a flush stoma. Losing weight might help in both those areas, but let's leave that off the table for now, OK? :?

Maybe I could use a thin layer of ring to adhere the plate? I guess I'd have to clean it with adhesive remover and reapply fresh ring every time, or it would get pretty disgusting.

Any other hints or tips?
Lee

I am not my disease.
Lisa

Re: irrigation plate

Post by Lisa »

Hi Steiconi
I think it's coloplast that makes a disposable sleeve that attaches to you with adhesive. No belt or plate required. They are single use. I use them when I travel. Maybe worth a try.

Lisa
Lisa
3/14 stage III Rectal cancer
Chemo/Radiation
1/15 APR Colostomy
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Are you opposed to using a two piece appliance? I use the Hollister New Image line and I am able to snap pouches and sleeves interchangeably. I use a normal drainable pouch for the daytime hours (just in case, my colon can be fickle depending on what I eat). At night I switch to a closed mini pouch, but I do have drainable mini pouches if I feel like I might have a movement of some type at night due to eating late or stomach bugs, etc. The closed mini pouch is very much like wearing just a stoma cap. And, since I'm irrigating, the flanges will last a solid week. This would definitely help with the leaking.... just a thought.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I sometimes use a 2-piece, with either a drainable or mini bag (depending on how much I trust my gut); a wafer lasts 4-5 days for me. But mostly I use a stoma cap.

I'm appalled at the amount of trash (and recyclables) I'm generating since I got the ostomy, so I don't think I could use a disposable sleeve every day. I figure stoma caps probably have 1/5 the materials the wafer-and-bag combo I use, so they kind of balance out.

I can live with leaks during irrigation, just thought there was something that might help, like a spritz of barrier spray or something.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Like Dave I use the Two Piece Hollister New Image with the drainable Mini Pouch, and the compatible sleeve. Works well for me. I irrigate every other day and the flange lasts about three irrigations. If you wish I can send the product numbers to you. The sleeves last me literally weeks....
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Thanks Jimbob, I have a bunch of Hollister supplies around, been meaning to get sleeves to fit so I can use them up. They didn't last very well for me before irrigating, maybe they'll do better now. And they're paid for, so even lasting less time is better than using new supplies. (OK, I'm Green AND frugal).

I tried barrier wipe on the flange last night; no leaks. I'll keep trying it and see if that's consistent.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mikem

Post by Mikem »

My technique when I am not wearing a flange is to use a flange w/o peeling the back. This makes it the equivalent of plate but which much more surface area to seal against your skin. With a snug belt it is more flexible in conforming to your skin I think. The works with both Hollister and Convatec flanges but I have to trim the skirt on the convatec flange. And since Hollister does not have a plate, it provides that ability and means I can make it through the year only using 4-6 flanges.

The flange last a pretty long time and when it starts to show some wear you can still us it as a regular stick-on flange.
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Mikem,
I tried that a while back; the paper backing on the flange disintegrated the first time I used it, and I wound up tossing it out. I must be special.

One application of barrier wipe reduced leaking for 2 nights. I think I'll keep that up!
Lee

I am not my disease.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Update: I used about 1/4 of an Eakins ring, rolled thin to stretch all the way around the hole of the irrigation plate. Pressed it on securely. Works great, no leaks!
I rinse it thoroughly when done, have been using it for a couple weeks and it's not disgusting yet :D
Lee

I am not my disease.
Barbro

Post by Barbro »

I also use the adhesive single use sleeve, its very good and safe, never fails. (In Sweden, we get all stoma things free from the government, delivered to the door step or the closest grocery store.)
Colostomy 2013
Irrigating since 2014
Surgery stoma hernia 2014
Surgery pelvic floor hernia 2015