COlostomy Reversal scheduled for August 22

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
MAryann1943

COlostomy Reversal scheduled for August 22

Post by MAryann1943 »

Hi Everyone. I'm new here. My name is Mary Ann. I am scheduled to have colostomy reversal on August 22. I was diagnosed with colon cancer stage 3 on Feb 12 and I had my tumor taken out of my sigmoid colon on March 8. I originally had a cecostomy and then when the surgeon took the tumor out he reversed the cecostomy on the right and gave me a colostomy on the left. Now, after having taken xeloda for six rounds, I am ready to have my reversal. I am supposed to take two enemas the day before surgery along with suprep. I am not looking forward to this enema. It's making me nervous. Does anyone have any suggestions about the enema and how to make it easier. Any good advice about the reversal would be great too. thank you and prayers to all.
Button

Re: COlostomy Reversal scheduled for August 22

Post by Button »

MaryAnn:
The General Section of this forum gets the far greater amount of "foot traffic" and participation.

Lack of response to your thread has more to do that it is not being noticed. If you post your same post on the General Section you will receive far thoughtful response.

I have a permanent ostomy so do not have any experience with a reversal.

That said, post operative LAR syndrome is one sub-set of post operative side-effects that you might familiarize yourself with. Clustering of bowel movements, incomplete evacuation, rectal muscle spasms (asismus), increased frequency of bowel movements - any or all of these can be problematic in the early days post reversal.

Get a good quality zinc-based ointment for "butt burn." The digestive enzymes can irritate the anal tissues post reversal.

I highly recommend that you explore the on-line colorectal cancer forum called The Colon Club. It's membership is aimed at colorectal patients and their caregivers, most under the age of 55. It is an active and vibrant forum with lots of knowledgeable people and a hefty dose of support and empathy.

Just Google, "The Colon Club." If you have colorectal cancer, this is the Top Notch discussion and support forum.

www.thecolonclub.org

Best wishes with your upcoming reversal and being bag free. You are always welcome at this forum, with or without an ostomy bag. We genuinely understand the angst of "bathroom issues." Post on the General Section for wider participation.
- Karen -
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care