Ileostomy Reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
spider1976

Ileostomy Reversal

Post by spider1976 »

Hello, this is my first time posting. I am trying to decide if I want to have an ileostomy reversal done. I have 25 centimeters of large intestine left after surgery for a perforated colon. Can anyone tell me their experience after reversal with the same amount of intestine? Thanks.
To Good Health

Re: Ileostomy Reversal

Post by To Good Health »

Hi spider! Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear that you had a perforation. I already had a colostomy when my colon was perforated in 2013. Now I have a transverse colostomy which has quite a liquid output. But I cannot answer your question. I suggest you post your question on the general board as it gets a lot more traffic. Good luck,
To Good Health
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
spider1976

Post by spider1976 »

Thanks, I will.
highcountry

Post by highcountry »

A year ago I had most of my colon removed because of cancer on the lower left side and rupture on the right. That left me with both a colostomy and illeostomy. November 12 of this year I was reconnected, but during the surgery two new tumors were found... after I had undergone five months of chemo. Those were removed at the same time. Almost two months later I still have nonstop diarrhea. Because there is so little colon left, it is very possible I will deal with this for the rest of my life. It is certainly an adjustment. The major issue is cutting out all snacking and leaving long periods between eating, so that soreness does not become unbearable.

I love having left the bags behind, but the aftermath isn't much fun either. Good luck whatever you decide!
festusluv

Post by festusluv »

My initial surgery was May/16 & I'm excitedly preparing for a reversal this coming Monday! As happens to many, this entire chapter of life took me completely by surprise but I want to assure those who may be frightened...it's an absolute livable condition. Sure, if you'd asked me as little as a month before surgery if I could deal w/ it all - not likely! But I'll tell you...the human condition is strong & you WILL adapt, you WILL cope & before you know it, the appliance becomes no more than anything else a person might use in their daily existence. Yes, each case is different but I had 26 staples (no more bikini days for me!) & altho a learning process, I have not & will not falter from my belief that this does not take away from my femininity & ability to live a full life. If my surgery should be unsuccessful & this condition persists? Of course it gives pause for thought but hey...there are so many worse off in this world, the very least I can do is adjust! Take care everyone :D
Mwmair1234

Post by Mwmair1234 »

Has anyone ever had there loop ileostomy split in half before? If so, how did effect your final reversal surgery?