ileostomy conduit and nephrostomy tubes

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
debpeoples

ileostomy conduit and nephrostomy tubes

Post by debpeoples »

My 82 year old mother has had a ileostomy conduit since 2001. It is a constant source of infection for her now and her kidney function is at 14%. The urine refluxes back into her kidneys and they are constantly inflamed and infected. Her urologist and nephrologist believe she should have nephrostomy tubes put in. Our concern is for the quality of her life. Are these tubes painful? The doctors say they will not reverse or remove the ileostomy conduit, so I'm not sure how this will help her infections or inflammation. Will the nephrostomy tubes be a source of infection too? We have many questions and hope someone out there has had some experience and can help us. Her family doctor says it may be better to do nothing at all and let the kidney function get worse and then do dialysis. Since there would be no urine output there would be no infections. We would appreciate any information or opinions you may have. Thanks! Deb
Jimbob

Re: ileostomy conduit and nephrostomy tubes

Post by Jimbob »

Good Morning Deb;

Let me suggest you post this question also on the General Forum, it may get more exposure.