Resection w/ possible Colostomy

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
MDmom85

Resection w/ possible Colostomy

Post by MDmom85 »

Hello,
So I am a youngish(?) single mom of two kids. I have had some weird health issues lately but due to a previous surgery causing complications I developed an abscess. Medication didn't completely get rid of it, so I will be having surgery soon and the doctor said he won't know what I will need until he gets in there. So I was wondering what to expect with the surgery in general, plus I am a 31 year old single mother of 2, I do have some help but cannot depend on anyone consistently, any ideas or tips for post surgery, anything I should look for, questions I should ask the doctor. I feel like this has all happened so fast and I honestly haven't had time to process the idea of a colostomy, and what can I do to help from getting to down about it, not like I have a whole lot of free time to let it get to me but I just want to go into this as strong and educated as possible.

Thanks!
Alyse
To Good Health

Re: Resection w/ possible Colostomy

Post by To Good Health »

Welcome to the group, Alyse. Glad you found us. I suggest you post this in the general discussion as it gets a lot more traffic. It doesn't matter if your possible colostomy is temporary or not (as far as posting there.) I understand that you need some of your colon taken out - is that what you're looking at? It must be unsettling not to know more. Are you a medical doctor? My younger daughter who is 32 is one as well - but she doesn't have 2 children as well. You must have your hands full. Keep in touch.
All the best,
To Good Health
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013