How long did you wait for reversal surgery?

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
bluebird

Re: How long did you wait for reversal surgery?

Post by bluebird »

SandyRN, how do I send you a private message? I'm new to this website.

I've seen my plastic surgeon, nationally known, has published research articles on abdominal wall repairs, as well as the colorectal surgeon, who will work together on the take down and repair the abdominal wall. I've also consulted with MDs at the Cleveland Clinic, who are very vague about the surgery and what to expect. There is a team at MD Anderson in Houston, who I believe could handle the difficulty of my situation, but, they do not see people who are not already patients in their hospital.

Fortunately, I have not experienced blockages (yet!), although I'm sure I'm loaded with adhesions.

Thanks for your speedy response. Would love to chat some more, since we seem to share a similar history.
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

Hi bluebird, I'm not SandyRN but I'll tell you how to send her a private message. Go back to page 1 where you see her post (any post). Go to the right side of the screen where you'll see 'contact' under her name. Hover or click on that and two options come up: on the left an envelope for a private message and on the right an envelope for email. Choose one and away you go.
All the best with your surgery!
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
SandyRN0224

Post by SandyRN0224 »

Thank you for directing bluebell how to send a pm. :)
Emergency colo for rupture 4/18/09
Crohn's. takedown/hernia repair 8/3/16
kevinanita17

Post by kevinanita17 »

To Good Health wrote:A great range of waiting times from 4 weeks to over 20 years possibly!
My ileostomy was reversed 14 months after my original surgery.
My surgeon said that waiting too much longer would lessen the chance of the colon relearning its old job (absorbing water for one thing). I've no idea if he had the correct idea or not.
My reversal was unsuccessful for other reasons (damage to the sphincter muscles due to surgery and radiation - I had rectal cancer.)
Good luck everyone,

TGH
I had rectal cancer surgery last Aug. I have a temp. iliostomy and I detest it. My surgeon is telling me I can reverse it as soon as I finish chemo, which will be next month. my surgeon says theres no rush i could wait a year or more to have the surgery. it feels like he's somewhat stalling. He has told me that it is ..not always sucessful. i know he told me He did his best to keep the sphincter muscles undamaged. I also had alot of radiation in that area. how do I really know for sure what I have left down there? I believe I had a great surgeon but he is not very forthcoming. i keep getting these long pauses everytime i talk to anyone professional about a reversal.I laso have no sexual functioning down there. Will it damage me more to have a reversal? i just dont know how extensive the damage is down there. How can i know or can I?
bluebird

Post by bluebird »

For your peace of mind, may be worthwhile getting a second opinion from another colorectal surgeon. Wait till after you finish your chemo. Unfortunately, sometimes chemo does further damage. (I'm in my present condition due to a bad reaction to chemo.) If you've been getting chemo, you probably will be just fine and no bad reactions. I had a colonoscopy before my colorectal surgeon spoke with me. (They put the scope in through the stoma, and separately up the rectum.) Then he could tell me about the condition of my tract, including the rectum. I even got a referral from my colorectal surgeon to see a second surgeon for the second opinion. It was very helpful for me to speak with other doctors. Hope this helps with your decision.
SandyRN0224

Post by SandyRN0224 »

Kevin Anita, they can do a barium enema and see exactly what is left. My surgeon wouldn't do my surgery til he got those results.
SandyRN0224

Post by SandyRN0224 »

Ps. Because I was in and out of the hospital so much they waited to do my colonoscopy until I was on the table. I was very sick and the dr didn't want to do yet another procedure on me but I don't know if that's a possibility for all surgery but either way I had to have that hernia taken down.