Ileostomy reversal questions

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
My333grls

Ileostomy reversal questions

Post by My333grls »

Hi, this is my first time posting here! My husband age 57, had his ileostomy closure done in December. He was diagnosed stage 4 rectal cancer November 2015, had 6mos folfax chemo prior to surgery to remove tumor. Tumor was very low but wonderful surgeon was able to preserve the sphincter and he had a temporary ileostomy for 7 mos, during which time he had 4 more rounds of chemo. All scans last month show cancer free! We are very grateful for this, but unfortunately he is having some problems getting control of BMs. He has been following the BRAT diet prescribed for him, and progressively upping his medicinal fiber (Metamucil) also following Drs advice. He has had some very good days, when he only goes a few times a day. But the bad days outnumber the good! On these days he says it is like a constant out put, not diarrhea but very soft and constant. Has anyone else had this? Any suggestions to help? Would appreciate any advice! Thank you!