gastrogastrograffin test before reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
nan222

gastrogastrograffin test before reversal

Post by nan222 »

I have a temporary stoma . Did anyone have this procedure. Xray with contrast to check to make sure I can get a reversal. Quite afraid since contrast goes in stoma and butt. Also have to do a cleanse the day before like for a colonoscopy. Don't know how the pouch will hold up. I would appreciate any information from anyone who has had this and how it went.
cmason

Re: gastrogastrograffin test before reversal

Post by cmason »

I had the same procedure about 3 weeks ago. It's a bit messy but not anything to get upset about. They went through the rectum and the stoma with the contrast. It was a bit messy but the only uncomfortable part was the enema in the rectum as that area hasn't been used for several months. The purpose of the test is to see how the different parts are doing so they can determine if reversal is right at this time. I'm haveing my reversal on the 5/26. Bring an extra colostomy bag with you for the enema. Best of luck to you!
nan222

Re: gastrogastrograffin test before reversal

Post by nan222 »

thank you for your reply. Had the procedure on Friday 5/12. In my opinion, I would never have that test without sedation.
As you said the backend has not been in use and the pain was horrible for me. Thru the stoma was ok. I wish you luck with your reversal.
I hopefully will Have my reversal on 7/7/17. I appreciate the sharing of information on this forum. It has been very helpful to me during
the difficult times.