Colostomy and Diabetes

Share the non-ostomy part of your life (but please limit the random jokes!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Dan Beit-Halahmi

Colostomy and Diabetes

Post by Dan Beit-Halahmi »

I am a new member here, had my surgery about 7 weeks, had a visiting nurse show me how to deal with changing, and cleaning the Stoma.
I am also Diabetic now for the past 4 years (Diabetes 2), and and have certain foods I can not eat, like carbohydrates, sweets, and more which raise my blood sugar, and can cause damage to nerves (mainly in the feet).
On the other hand, there is also a list of foods you should not eat when you have a colostomy, due to all sorts of reasons.

Are there others here, who are facing this same question? What do I eat, with out getting into trouble with my blood sugar or my colostomy?

How do I solve this? Would appreciate any input...

Thank you
Dan
ot dave

Re: Colostomy and Diabetes

Post by ot dave »

Hi Dan.

I have a colostomy too. 8 years now. I am eating the same diet that I did prior to my cancer/surgery. With a colostomy, you should be able to manage just about any food you want. I know some foods set off peristalsis, so I avoid them, but it doesn't prohibit me from eating them.

Also, you may want to post this question on the general discussion board....more traffic and eyes over there!

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Dan Beit-Halahmi

Re: Colostomy and Diabetes

Post by Dan Beit-Halahmi »

Thank you David for the answer, I will just continue with my diabetes diet, and see how it works.

Thanks again
Dan