Reversal Surgery booked! Nervous!

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
dlsa12

Re: Reversal Surgery booked! Nervous!

Post by dlsa12 »

Hi. I am so sorry you are experiencing these symptoms. We have such hope that once we are reconnected, things will automatically be back to normal. Unfortunately for most of us, we have a "new normal." I have diarrhea off and on but my biggest issue is what the doctors call "chronic constipation." I am told that I must have soft stools so that I won't develop the diverticuli again. This is a struggle. Since my colonoscopy, I am experiencing symptoms like I am still on the prep. It is hard but I am hoping that soon, my symptoms will subside. So, it is either constipated or diarrhea and I never know which one. I am eating 2 Activia daily now and that seems to be helping.

I also had hernias. (multiple ones and a stomach reconstruction) I had that surgery about 4 months ago. The end result isn't as good as I had hoped, I am still kind of lumpy but I can now exercise and I am hoping I can tone things up that way.

Why are you having bloody stools? Have you checked with your gastro? I seem to remember years ago when I was having bouts of diarrhea that I was prescribed a sublingual pill that stopped it. I don't remember the name. It was better and faster than Immodium. There are also different types of Immodium. The one for cramps and gas work the best for me and seem to work faster as well.

Hang in there. It will get better and you will get better also. Keep posting. Let us know how you are doing.
larman

Post by larman »

I'm having the Reversal Ileostomy next week and need to know if Ill be suffering from gas issues after the Surgery and most of all I need to know weight lift restrictions .. I 'm in no hurry to get back to work because my job requires that I left 70 lbs , but many of my packages weigh over 100 lbs .. I have had 3 Hernia Operations prior to the Reversal and I'm very concerned about another after the Reversal . My doctor really had not informed me at all with weight restrictions , which really bothers me a lot . I'm looking into Early Retirement Jan 25th 2015 and I'm contemplating on going back to work at all before that date .. Any advice ?? Much appreciated !!
writermom39

Post by writermom39 »

Update: I have decided not to get the hernia surgery unless the hernia becomes strangulated and I have no choice. Almost a year after the reversal (couple of weeks ago), I developed adhesions that caused two bowel obstructions in a period of a week. That was NOT FUN! Doctors recommended surgery but I chose not to. Instead I am drinking a lot of fluids, chewing every morsel very well, taking probiotics, doing castor oil packs on my abdomen and bowel massage twice a day. I am still tired a lot and have developed new health issues including arthritis, kidney stones, and ovarian cysts that have caused irregular periods. The kidney stones are easy to get rid of by drinking apple cider vinegar. I'm hoping the castor oil packs and a supplement called serrapeptase will dissolve the ovarian cyst(s). I avoid doctors like the plague. I do not want any more xrays, ct scans, or ultrasounds. I do not want any more medicalization. I refuse every medication offered and I am completely committed to healing naturally. I use metamucil after meals to slow down my frequent bowel movements. It helps. I've also just accepted that I will poo almost anywhere I go. Life is good. I'd say the worst thing is the arthritis but I have faith I will heal from it eventually, as long as I avoid doctors and medications and keep improving my health through detox and supplementation. xoxo
anadevi

Post by anadevi »

writermom39 wrote:I am completely committed to healing naturally. I use metamucil after meals to slow down my frequent bowel movements. It helps. I've also just accepted that I will poo almost anywhere I go. Life is good. I'd say the worst thing is the arthritis but I have faith I will heal from it eventually, as long as I avoid doctors and medications and keep improving my health through detox and supplementation. xoxo
Hi Writermom,

I wish things were better for you, I do think there are are long term harmful health effects of the medications used to help in these cases but quality of life is also important.

Have you looked into enema (warm water) once a day? Some find this really helps to reduce the frequency to more manageable levels.
never saw it coming

Post by never saw it coming »

writermom39... I thank so much for all of your posts! I am 1 month done & 5 to go until reversal. I have copied all of your posts along with others and saved them on my computer because there is so much information that I didn't want to chance losing. This whole journey has been enlightening, to say the least. I will never take simple body functions for granted, again. My surgeon was very confident and assured me that everything will be fine for reversal. I had to have emergency surgery to remove 8" of colon due to an abscessed diverticuli that blew up. I learned that diverticuli form from too much pressure on weak walls of colon. This makes sense since I lived nearly 23 years severely dehydrated and only started drinking a lot more water 3 years ago, with many health benefits. Before that I was a constipated man who had 5 bouts of diverticulitis in my 30s. (I am 49 now).

my biggest concern is that the surgeon will leave my incision open again, though he assures me he shouldn't need to. That retention suture was so damned painful....

Thank you and everyone else who posts here for your thoughts and time.

Gregg
catsen

Post by catsen »

My surgery is booked for 12/1/14 and my preop meeting is today. I am also very nervous and was hoping to get some reassurance here. After my emergency colostomy for perforated diverticulitis I found more useful information online than through my medical personnel. Everything was good and other than having a colostomy I have no complaints. I am an RN and had some familiarity with colostomy care. I have to admit though I think I have some post traumatic anxiety about reentering the hospital and having another surgery. Reading the comments here has not helped but rather heightened my fears. I am grateful for the information because all I have heard from the medical personnel is that it will be easier since I won't be septic going in. No one has mentioned gaping wounds, weeks of pain, diaper rash cream or shitting myself. I do not have any other medical conditions, I am in good physical shape and did not experience any hernias. I am looking forward to losing this bag and regaining some normal body image. I am sorry to hear of your depression as that was one of my concerns. Keep posting. Although you don't paint a rosy picture I am grateful for the reality and/or possible realities.
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

Welcome to the forum, catsen. As you know, it's normal to be apprehensive before any surgery. The stories you read here are probably a fraction of all the successful reversals. My reversal was unsuccessful because the surgery and radiation to treat my rectal cancer damaged the anal muscles. However you don't have any problem like that.
Yes a perforation is very scary, and with the accompanying sepsis makes healing quite a long process. I had that experience last year and was off work for 4 and 1/2 months. I found my reversal surgery was much less traumatic.
All the best for Dec. 1st. Keep in touch. If you don't get many comments here, feel free to post in the general discussion as it gets more 'traffic'.
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
teri16

Post by teri16 »

writermom39 your last post was over a year ago but are you still coming on here
i'd like to know if things got better for you
they didn't for me and i'm thinking of going back on the colostomy
crayon

Post by crayon »

Hi. I'm new here and I will be having my reversal in August. I got my temp colostomy for ruptured diverticula in my sigmoid (leading to peritonitis) which they completely removed along with part of my colon) in October 2014 then had complications (small intestine twisting up on itself) less then a week later after discharge and ended up back in surgery and had more portions of my large intestine removed. I was grateful my surgeon told me the reversal was still possible but now reading about having to wearing diapers, bed pads, pain, diarrhea, and such ??? I am scared to death. Having to wear this bag has been bad enough. And as a female, I tell ya, it has taken away everything I feel as a female, not to mention the ugly 19 inch scar on my abdomen. Is it better than the alternative? Meaning death? Yes. If I didn't have emergency surgery I would have died, but I thought after the reversal it would only be a couple of months and my gut would be back to normal and I could put this nightmare in my brain vault and live happily ever after; esp. eating whatever I want. From what I am reading here some aren't close even after two years?
Bbynurz

Post by Bbynurz »

I have reversal surgery booked 2 days from now. To say I'm nervous is not a big enough word. I am petrified. I hated my ileostomy and wanted it
reversed from the day I got it. I had a tumor in my rectum which radiation obliterated and it went nowhere else, thank the Lord. So in essence I
probably didn't need the surgery but couldn't know that without the surgery. Strange. Anyway, everything I've been told and read is a nightmare
about what a person goes through after surgery. I'm going in with mixed feelings but trying to see the positive in all this. I guess I can't be normal
for a long time and there is nothing I'd like more than to be just "normal". I sure took it for granted at the time. I'll never do that again.
Medicine is my life. I'm a nurse and take care of babies in a NICU. They have to go through the most horrible things sometimes and yet they look into your face like all is well as they are being comforted and rocked. I found this forum just in time. I went through all my other stuff by grinning and bearing it. Better to have people who are experiencing the same thing. I wish you all well. And most of all a "normal" life.
Bbynurz

Post by Bbynurz »

Well, I went through surgery. It went well. I was really scared of how elimination was going to be for me. I noticed there was no reply for me.
I am not sure why no words. Well, in case anyone else is wondering and wants to know cause they are nervous I will say it's not as bad as my mind
conjured up. I wore a pad for a while because I was afraid. But I never needed it. I have control. I have to listen and get to a bathroom quicker. but it's all good. I am being careful what I eat and taking it slow. But it's good. I go to my post op next week. I wouldn't go anywhere where the bathroom lines might be really long but I would say to someone who is planning a reversal .....It's gonna be ok. Just take it easy, wear a pad at first just in case, and be careful what you eat. Listen to what they told you. I wish you all the best even though I never got to know you.
nan222

Post by nan222 »

Sorry you had no response from your post about your reversal. I have not been on the forum for awhile. I am hopefully having reversal on 7/7. I feel I have been in limbo since February when I had emergency surgery for a perforated colon. I am glad your reversal went well. I will be doing a lot of praying mine goes as well
Ricktadams

Post by Ricktadams »

About two months ago I had my reversal operation. In February, after a successful large intestine surgery I developed Sepsis which required the bag. As I was approaching the reversal date, I read a lot of postings. I began to get anxious, in fact a few posts of difficulty post operation, I was thinking about canceling the operation and living with the bag( which I hated)
Well, I had the operation. The doctor kept me in the hospital for 6 days due to the sepsis experience and that I lived 100 miles from hospital.
Well, all these frightening postings had nothing to do with my reality. The first weekend was difficult because I had NO movements. I called the doctor and was calmed down and was told to take Muralax(only took it three days) Two days later I became regular. No pain, no accidents. Within two weeks, I ate anything I wanted. I am weak and have outpatient physical therapy. But regarding my digestive systems, all is great!
My guess is that those of us that had successful results don't return to these sites. They are out having a good time! But I finally felt compelled to let you know it can end happily!
savedbygracethrufaith

Post by savedbygracethrufaith »

Hi all, just wanted to post some encouragement since I know a lot of us who have good outcomes don't tend to write about it online. I had my ileostomy reversal surgery about 9 months ago.

I am happy to report things are working just as before, if not better. My ileostomy was put in after my small intestine perforated near the cecum due to a tumor (Non Hodgkins lymphoma). Luckily they didn't remove too much and my large intestine was all intact (except the cecum). I had the ileostomy for just under a year and it was actually a huge blessing in disguise during chemo (no worries about constipation or sitting on the throne with diarrhea).

I was nervous about the surgery but to be honest, it wasn't that bad of a recovery. I was kept for three nights at the hospital. There was a fair bit of cramping and many bathroom trips with loose stool, so as some other posters mentioned you might want to be prepared with something to soothe a sore anus (a lot of wiping lol). I didn't bring anything like that and it wasn't all that bad. They slowly introduced solid food. I got a bit nauseous the second night after they tried to give me extra for dinner. It didn't last more than 15 minutes. The surgeon let me go home as planned despite not having had my stools firm up. He assured me they would, and a couple of days later he was proven right.

All in all, it was about a week of cramping and loose stools and then it steadily improved. Some days I would have just one bowel movement, other days a few in a row. It settled down after a few weeks. Take their advice and introduce fiber gradually. Just a little more every day and before you know it you'll be eating normally (or better than your old normal) again.

As for pain, it wasn't that bad. They gave me Tylenol 3 and I probably only needed them the first week, mostly to be nice and comfortable for sleep. The cramping is the only thing I remember but it was always relieved by taking my place on the throne. The incision wound was pretty small so it was easy to cover with a waterproof bandage for showering those first few weeks.

I can only recall one time where incontinence got the best of me after surgery. I was driving home from work and the urge hit. It was an agonizing 20 minute drive and sadly I had to do the crab walk of shame down the hallway to my apartment. Since then I've made more of a habit to drink enough coffee in the morning to trigger a bowel movement and after that I'm good for the day. I'm much more sensitive to coffee in that regard compared to before the surgeries, but it's actually been quite useful in getting the day's waste out of the way.

It's my hope that you will all experience a good outcome with your surgeries, and if not, for a swift healing of your lingering ailments. God has been beyond faithful to me, so don't hesitate to call on his name in your time of need. Take care everyone!