Illeostomy problems after reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Cheryl22

Illeostomy problems after reversal

Post by Cheryl22 »

Re: My ileo reversal/takedown experience thus far

Yesterday 16:24:12

Our story, my husband had to have emergency surgery on July 4, 2017 because his colon was about to rupture and he had a mass on the left side also. We were on vacation in northern Wisconsin. He had only one episode of diverticulitis the previous December. He had a colostomy after the surgery and stayed in hospital for one week and we went to our friends house and the next day the cooon ruptured again and more was removed leaving him with an illeostomy. When we got home we had to find a colorectal surgeon to perform the reversal. The reversal surgery was nov 15th and dr said no colon was left so he has a loop illeostomy for three more months. Two weeks later he had two abscesses which involves two drains, one out after about a month other took two months. It was out for about three weeks and now abscesses are back. We were almost ready for final gastric enigma scan to ensure no leaks and final closure. Looks like now we have to deal with leaks for a bit. Very frustrating, mentally and physically! I am new to this forum but have enjoyed reading issues other people seem to have as well. We have changed the bag as many as 4 times in one day and have learned every trick in the trade seems like. Any feedback if anyone else might have had these problems in the past would be greatly appreciated. Still scared for him and final outcome. The stories about final procedures aren’t very encouraging. Any help I can give anyone else please just ask. Thanks again for letting me vent.