Considering Reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
jdp90

Considering Reversal

Post by jdp90 »

Hello All,
I am new to this discussion board and have been reading a few posts in regards to having reversal's done. I am considering a reversal if it can be done. I currently have a sigmoid colostomy and my surgery took place back in March 2016. I have Crohn's disease and suffered quite a bit prior to my colostomy. I had a good amount of my large colon removed during the surgery. My GI is going to do a colonoscopy on 1/9/18 to see if my colon has healed and to make sure there is no significant inflammation before I consult with a surgeon.

From the posts I have read, it seems like either people have regretted having a reversal done or thrilled to not be wearing a bag any longer. I wanted a colostomy for the longest time b/c of spending hours upon hours in the bathroom dealing with Crohn's. From 2012 - 2014, I was hospitalized 14 times many stays being in ICU and have had numerous blood transfusions b/c of being severely anemic. My last hospitalization took place back in August of 2017 due to a flare up but other than that, my Crohn's has been pretty manageable. I feel that I have let my body heal and is relaxed going almost two years with a bag but I really don't want the colostomy any longer. My fear is if I have the reversal done, will my life go back to spending hours each day in the bathroom. I don't know what to do...

Any advice, tips, or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
steiconi

Re: Considering Reversal

Post by steiconi »

I had a temp ileostomy years ago that was just awful to deal with--loads of leaks, yeast infection, excoriation. I was SO HAPPY to get it reversed.
Reversal went well, healed nicely. No problems with getting the reversal.

However, multiple surgeries have left ongoing problems:
adhesions that reduce the size of the intestines and trap bits of food causing blockages.
a stiff rectum that doesn't like to move the pooh out.
and the scariest: a tear in the scar tissue that gets infected every few months.

Surgeon said a new ostomy would let the tear heal. I opted for a colostomy this time (so I can check another item off my bucket list, right?). It is much easier to maintain, but the tear did NOT heal, and gets inflamed every few weeks. At least the scary infections don't happen any more. So I'm looking at surgery to repair the tear (should have been done before the colostomy), then probably a healing period and a reversal.
Oh, and I seem to be developing allergies to the wafers. I've gone tapeless but still ITCH!
Lee

I am not my disease.