Dehydrated: need help

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ColonLess_Life

Dehydrated: need help

Post by ColonLess_Life »

I have had an ileostomy reversal for two years now. I suffered from ulcerative colitis for 13 years. Ever since the ileostomy reversal, I have been dehydrated and I don't know what to do to stop it. Oral solutions have sugar in them and my body will not digest sugar. If I drink anything with sugar in it, I go to the bathroom more frequent and I dehydrate that much more. Pedialite doesn't help either. The only thing that has kept me going this long is that I put a lot of salt in the water that I drink. But, even the salt water only helps so much. It is like I stay on the edge of dehydration all the time, not all the way dehydrated, just partially dehydrated. I don't want to go to a hospital and get an I.V., because that will just be temporary and when I leave the hospital, the dehydration will come back. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do, please let me know. I know that I can't be the only person with an ileostomy reversal that has been dehydrated. Please help me if you can. Thanks.
dcando

Re: Dehydrated: need help

Post by dcando »

I went through a lot of de hydration while I had an ilesostomy that had high output. Do you have a doctor checking your electrolytes. I was in the hospital several times and once they sent me home with sodium pills. Before that I would crave a lot of salt so would drink plenty of salted vegetable juice, but once it got out of control nothing would help, I would have to go in.

Now I have a reversal and face other problems, but not sorry to see the bag go, it may be for some but caused too many problems for me.
Dami

Re: Dehydrated: need help

Post by Dami »

I feel your pain, Colonless_Life. I've just had an ileostomy takedown and have so little bowel left that I'm dealing with Short Bowel Syndrome. I find the solutions so unpalatable, that I just can't choke down any more. Right now I'm barely stable with getting infused twice a week and I have the same questions. I hope we both can get some answers.
Dami
Short Bowel Syndrome: '18
Colostomy: '92
Crohn's: '72