Colostomy reversal- Blood in stool

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Choppywoppy

Colostomy reversal- Blood in stool

Post by Choppywoppy »

Hello everyone:)

I had emergency surgery on 3-19-2018 due to a perforated bowel from acute diverticulitis, which I developed during my chemo treatments for breast cancer. I only had to wear the colostomy bag for 3 months and had my reversal, 3 weeks ago, 6-13-2018. The surgery went ok and I am just recovering but there is a problem. I have had blood in my stools since the surgery. My surgeon doesn't seem to concerned but said if it doesn't go away, I will have to have a colonoscopy in the next couple of weeks or so. Needles to say, I am very upset by this as I don't want to have another colonoscopy (had one prior to surgery and everything was ok) and I am a little stressed and anxious about all of this and am scared that I might have to another surgery.

I was wondering if anyone out there has encountered this problem with their reversal and if so, what it was? Any feedback would be great. Thank you so much:)

-Michelle
Sanzibar3

Re: Colostomy reversal- Blood in stool

Post by Sanzibar3 »

I haven't had my reversal yet, so I'm not 100% here. How much blood are we talking? I think a nominal amount should not be unreasonable, considering. Some folks may take a little more time to heal than others. If the MD is not concerned, and you are not feeling weak or drained, maybe give it more time. I'm sure the follow-up colonoscopy will sort things out. Good luck!