Post Ostomy Reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Goluscombe

Post Ostomy Reversal

Post by Goluscombe »

In January, my colon blew a hole and I have spent seven months recovering. I spent a month in ICU, followed by 2 months in a care facility prior to moving back home. While in the care facility, I had to relearn how to eat, walk, talk. I'm still using a walker for balance in crowded situations and for strength on walks over 1/4 of a mile. I've been taking 5mg Percocet for post-sepsis pain. I thought I was physically ready to undergo surgery for an ostomy reversal, tolerating 3X week of physical therapy to build up my muscles and strength.

Last week, early July, my ostomy was reversed. The physician had to take out considerable scar tissue including removal of the Fallopian tube directly under the ostomy. I have a zip line surgery from below my boobs down to my pubic hairline, and a much smaller deep-dive zip line hole on the side to close the ostomy. One week in the hospital this time, staples come out tomorrow. The surgery slammed to down and has taken away a lot of my energy. If it wasn't for the physical therapy, I feel I couldn't have rebounded this well. My GP has extended by work leave until end of September when I should better to go back to work.

Why the story ? Well, for one, to get it off my chest. Second, I am very surprised at the amount of pain and amount of my body that had to be taken out in the ostomy reversal due to scar tissue. Third, physical therapy. It's imperative to be physically fit for the reversal operation (not Jack LaLane fit, but well off physically fit), and to get back to physical therapy as soon as your doctor allows.
MyBernard

Re: Post Ostomy Reversal

Post by MyBernard »

Did you start physical therapy before your reversal or after? I ask because I am most definitely NOT physically fit and have to decide when to schedule the reversal. Perhaps I should wait a bit to build myself up before the surgery. What sort of physical prep did you do?