Thanks!!

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Pokerpro

Thanks!!

Post by Pokerpro »

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer July of last year. I was one of those who waited too long to get screened. I had been doing the poop tests for like 5 years and all negative. Anyway, I started having issues around April and finally went in for scope in July. By then I had all the symptoms for cancer so wasn’t surprised to learn they found a mass just inside my anus.
Went in for ultra sound but they couldn’t get past mass to get a good idea of how far advanced. Did CAT scan which showed there might be some lymph node involvement but no spread else where. Did MRI which didn’t show any lymph node involvement. Because of this they recommended 6 weeks of chemo and radiation treatment. Had a port put in and was given a pump with 5FU. Was lucky that I didn’t have many side effects from chemo other than a little lack of energy. Radiation wasn’t that bad either. Just a little sore.
They said that because tumor was so close to anus I would need to have a APR with permanent colostomy so I found this site to see what I was in for. I learned a lot and I thank all of you!!
I went in for surgery on Dec.13th. Everything went better than I could hope for. Dr said chemo and radiation really did a number on the tumor and he was able to get it all. No lymph node involvement. Turned out to be stage 1 instead of stage 3 which they thought it might be.
Both my surgeon and oncologist agreed that no further treatment in nessesary other than monitoring with cat scans and colonoscopies .
Been almost 6 weeks now and other than a little discomfort in the tush all is going great. No problems with my stoma. I seem to be able to eat anything I want. Well almost anything. I kinda over did it on the baked beans at Christmas LOL.
Life is good!!
Button

Re: Thanks!!

Post by Button »

Poker:
What a positive outcome you were able to achieve ! Continued best wishes.
Karen
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

And thanks to you for taking the time to share a story that I'm sure will inspire many.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
sassie

Post by sassie »

You my friend have a great attitude, Thank You for sharing...

best of luck, sassie