Can't stop sweating.

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Spouse with ileostomy

Can't stop sweating.

Post by Spouse with ileostomy »

So I'm new to this forum. And my husband recenlty got an ileostomy 4 months ago due to Crohn's. So were both still learning. I thought we were doing good until he got really dehydrated after being sick and really hasn't gotten better since then. The past week hes been sweating like crazy...but still drinking and seem hydrated (going pee). My concern is that he is getting a vitamin deficiency or something. Were working with his docs but things seem to take forever. I'm active duty in Alaska and there's not a lot of proficient GI docs here that take our insurance. And it seem ever since he got this surgery...the doctors think well he's ok. And there not in any rush to see him. Just irritating... sorry rant over. But has anyone else experienced sweating enough to drench your clothes a couple times a day... it seems to have slowed down but he's still sweating and we have no idea what's causing it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
Button

Re: Can't stop sweating.

Post by Button »

Spouse with ileostomy:
A new ileostomy can bring about a dominoe effect of electrolyte and metabolic changes due to the volume of fluid loss.

Surgery, too, can disrupt the delicate HPA axis (hypothalamus-Pituitary-adrenal axis). The HPA axis is important in regulating core body temperature and regulating responses including sweating and body chills. The endocrine system needs time to rebalance and find homeostasis.

I am a loyal customer of Cera-Lyte, an electrolyte and hydration supplement. Cera-Lyte is a medical grade rehydration aide. There are several formulations available, one specifically designed for those with an ileostomy. I encourage you to visit the Cera-Lyte home page and become familiar with its mission and products. I continue to use the ileosotomy formulation and I am several years post surgery.

Cera-Lyte is also available on Amazon.

Be cautious of “sports” and “energy” drinks. You do NOT want your husband to be consuming drinks with excessive added sugars. Gatorade is NOT a wise choice for those with an ileostomy, despite its broad and colorful marketing.

Added sugars contribute to dehydration by causing more rapid stomach dumping and more rapid intestinal motility. Avoid drinks with high fructose corn syrup as well as drinks with peppered with plentiful sugar substitute (the body “sees” sugar substitutes as sugar and acts similarly with dumping syndrome).

I drink sparkling water with either Cera-Lyte or a Nunn’s tablet for flavoring.

Nunn’s Tablets are another reputable electrolyte/hydration supplement. A variety of flavors, thrist quenching. Nunn’s are available on Amazon and at most holistic grocery stores and pharmacies. About $14 for a tube of 14 tablets.
Karen
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care
Spouse with ileostomy

This is one of the things I've been concerned about. I do my best to monitor his electrolytes... and yes I have him drink Gatorade. I will definitely be looking into the cera-lyte and the nunns tablets. He drinks all the time hopefully this will help. Thank you so much!! Karen. Were still getting used to our new way of life. Happy holidays
-Kristina
Button

Post by Button »

Spouse:
On additional thought with regards to your husband’s bouts with drenching sweats . . .

An retro-peritoneal abscess can present early signs as profuse sweating. Low-grade fever, pelvic pressure, and general malaise/feeling flu-like accompany as later symptoms.

So you may want to notify your GI and have some routine blood labs drawn to look at WBCs, macrophages, and bio-markers of a mediated infection response.
Karen
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care
Spouse with ileostomy

Karen, thank you! We finally got in to see the doc and they did some blood work... he ended up getting a B12 injection and they gave him a few other things to balance out his vitamin levels. And he's going back in tomorrow for a follow up. He's already getting better... just still tired.
Rchodos1

Post by Rchodos1 »

Hi: I live in Florida where dehydration is always a concern. check out H2Ors which can be purchased on Amazon. I also drink Poweraid Zero - no sugar. Best of luck 🌴😎
Jono

Post by Jono »

If he’s on any serotonergic meds, that might bear investigation.