Diarrhea

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Tiffani

Diarrhea

Post by Tiffani »

I had my ostomy take down 10-22-18. My large intestine was removed I now have a j pouch. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can eat or take for this ? I’m eating a lot of cheese and rice. I’m taking anti diarrhea and bulk fiber which my surgeon recommended. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
sassie

Re: Diarrhea

Post by sassie »

I don't have a j pouch but i did find this...
Since many people have frequent bowel movements right after the operation, following a diet can help reduce the number of stools.

Incorporate new foods into your diet one at a time to see how they affect your stool output. You may find that some foods give you trouble initially, but that you can tolerate them better later.
Do not skip meals. This tends to make the stools more irritating and loose.
Balancing starches with foods that tend to give diarrhea is also helpful in controlling the frequency of bowel movements.
Once your colon has been removed, you will need more salt until your body adjusts to not having a colon. Pretzels and corn chips are good snacks.
Hot and spicy foods will probably burn on the way out and should be avoided if your anal area feels irritated.
Seeds and nuts also can be irritating.
Within three to nine months after surgery, your body will have started to adjust to having a J-pouch. At this point, you should try to eat all types of foods and see how they affect you. Some patients have tried a low glycemic index diet, which includes foods that are high in fiber and cause a slow rise in blood sugar, to help control their bowel movements. Resources on the Internet and at your local library are available for more information on this type of diet.
Fluids are important to prevent dehydration. Drink enough fluid so your urine is light yellow in color. Avoid fruit juices, carbonated beverages, drinks with caffeine and straws (swallowed air increases gas). Rather than drinking fluids with your meal, try drinking fluids at the end of your meal, which may help slow down your stool.
Many people ask about vitamin supplements after their operation when they are limiting fruits and vegetables. It is fine to take vitamins, but they should be chewable or in liquid form, otherwise they may not be fully absorbed.
Tiffani

Post by Tiffani »

Thank you so much. I appreciate any information. I really don’t eat during the day while I’m at work. So this is good to know.
Jono

Post by Jono »

if it's too much, an iliostomy can be your friend... having a perineal ileostomy is inhumane. Stick to your guns, and PM me if you need medical backup...