incision discomfort and tightness

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
IleosTony

incision discomfort and tightness

Post by IleosTony »

Hello, fellow ostomates. I just had my ileostomy about eight weeks ago. I notice that when I stand up straight or lie flat, the rather impressive midline incision that I have hurts a bit, and my belly feels very tight. This makes it difficult to stand up straight or lie flat, and it's hard to breathe sometimes as well. Does anyone here have any experience with this kind of discomfort? Will the incision scar tissue stretch out eventually to where I don't notice any odd sensations like this? I don't feel normal and am reluctant to be very mobile because of it, and pretty soon I'll run out of pain pills. Sometimes my stoma feels the same way when I sit up too straight, lie flat, or stand up straight, but this is not as much of a problem as with the incision. I've lost a lot of core strength as well. Any information/tips on this question would be so very welcome. Incidentally, I have the added challenge of being totally blind. Talk about awkward. :lol:

Special thanks to Bob Baumel for helping me out with registration.
ot dave

Re: incision discomfort and tightness

Post by ot dave »

Hi Tony. Welcome. Sorry to hear that you are struggling with your incision site. Scar tissue is a unique little dude in that it can affect different people in different ways. Some scars heal without any trouble, some limit range of motion, some adhere to structures around them, etc. Sounds like you possibly may be getting some adhesion under the incision to the structures beneath. Sometimes scar tissue will "pop" when it reaches it's limits...this is usually pretty uncomfortable right at first, but then dissipates quickly, with improved movement. Scar massage may be helpful in mobilizing the area and getting you back to full motion. But with something like what you are describing, I would definitely go check in with the surgeon and let them know what is going on. They might refer you to a therapist (OT, PT, massage therapist, etc.) to get some scar massage, range of motion exercises, and to help build up your strength and endurance as well. I'm an OT, and have done a lot of scar massage on hands/wrists and burns. I've had several scars "pop" on me, and it is a little unnerving at first, but the results are immediate. You definitely want a trained professional to address any scar adhesions. Go see your surgeon, and see what they recommend.

Hope that helps.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Button

Post by Button »

I agree wholeheartedly with OTDave.

It sounds as though you have scar tissue (a normal process of healing) that is tethering to adjacent soft and connective tissue.

Adherent scar tissue/adhesions can feel like an internal tug of war. Sensations can include a sudden/sharp pain or even “popping” when the scar tissue is placed on tension (ex. trying to lie flat and elongating the torso or turning/twisting of the torso).

Whether you had sutures/staples (healing by primary intention) or a wound left open (healing by secondary intention) can also influence scar tissue formation.

I can still recall feeling like I had positional likeness to a human chair when I was would get up out of bed and move/walk during the early weeks of recovery. Extension/straightening of my torso, hips, and knees was meet by my internal body complaining in resistance. Sometimes I would lower the head of my articulating bed in increments, giving pause to allow for stretching.

DaveOT has provided sensible advice and a starting point for you. There is a lot of internal healing that goes on that is distinct from the healing incisional line that you can see.

Welcome to our little ostomy corner of the internet.
Karen
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care
IleosTony

Post by IleosTony »

Dave and Karen,

Thank you deeply for your kind and supportive replies. I had no idea, for instance, about scar tissue popping, and now I don't feel like I'll freak out if it happens because I know it isn't uncommon. I'm certainly taking seeing my surgeon, scar massage, etc., under advisement. Again, thank you both for the warm welcome and for sharing your knowledge and time with this hapless ostomate.

Btw, Dave, I love your inclusion of the Psalm reference in your signature. It was a powerful reminder to me a moment ago.

Tony
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

IleosTony wrote: 2019-02-12 11:39:27 Btw, Dave, I love your inclusion of the Psalm reference in your signature. It was a powerful reminder to me a moment ago.

Tony
That verse helped me keep my chin up while I was battling cancer. It's always a good reminder to remember who is in control.
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2