Infection

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Noblet007

Infection

Post by Noblet007 »

Hello everyone I’m new to this group and looking for hour advice please. I have my takedown of my stoma and mucus fistula on the 29th Jan I discovered I had a infection yesterday so I’m now wearing a bag to drain all the blood out. I discovered this infection because of a hard lump around my 3wounds 1st timwas I got it ch cos out 2 surgeons said it was nothing then that night I woke up with my plasters soaking. Today impoverished lost 20ml of blood so far . They have giving me a course of antibiotics to as well has anyone else experienced this please.. I’ve been through so much this last two months I just need some reassurance x
Jono

Re: Infection

Post by Jono »

It is very common to have wound problems at old stoma sites (infections and hernias being the most common). A lot of surgeons will either treat them with a delayed closure (put in stitches, but don’t tie them, and do dressing/packing changes for a few days prior to closure), or even just allow the wound to heal by “secondary intention” with dressing changes or a VAC.

Sewing up a round hole with an empty space beneath it that was formerly occupied by a poop covered piece of intestine is fraught with peril.

The up side is that, while it can be unpleasant for a while, it usually sorts itself out with time. In your case, now that the stuff inside has come out, your body has a much easier time cleaning up the mess...
Noblet007

Re: Infection

Post by Noblet007 »

Thank you for the reply the antibiotics seem to of done the trick and most my scars have cleared up. I just have a tiny hole now where he cut me to let the stuff drain, which will in time close....

I’m having unpleasant pain behind the stoma site now but reading previous posts it seems part of the healing process.