My reversal not going so well now.

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
pargolf4231

My reversal not going so well now.

Post by pargolf4231 »

Had my ileostpouch reversal this year February 6th was in hospital one week. Everything was going great having 4-5 bowel movements a day. Then the Thursday after at 2am everything went crazy messed all over myself before I knew it . Now I'm going 10-15 times a day. Dr. Put me on Imodium liquid every 4-6 hours. Didn't help gave me lomitril too started taking it 2 pills every 6 hours still won't stop the direhha. Some accidents where I can't get there quick enough. I'm so tired and frustrated. Nothing slowing it down now he's on vacation till March 20th....
To Good Health

Re: My reversal not going so well now.

Post by To Good Health »

Hello pargolf, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I used lomotil and immodium too. I also stayed away from raw fruits and vegetables (all except banana) after my reversal. I didn't like not being able to eat salads.
How long where you going 4 to 5 times a day after the surgery before all went haywire?
I found that wearing depends and pads inside the depends helped a lot during this stage. I know it's discouraging.
At the top of this page there's a link that says 'ostomy info'. If you go there, there is a section on diet which includes foods that slow down. Even though you don't have an ostomy now, those foods would still help.
Keep in touch. If you want more feedback, try posting in the general ostomy forum.
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

I have copied a bit of it but there's a lot more there:
Small, frequent meals are best – always chew thoroughly.
• Rice, potatoes or pasta once daily may reduce frequency and irritation.
• High potassium foods will help offset the effects of diarrhea.
• Limit foods containing simple sugars – they aggravate diarrhea which include
sweets, many desserts and high-sugar beverages such as juices and soda.
• Drink six to eight glasses of fl uid each day – but not with meals.
Anal Irritants
• Chinese/oriental vegetables • Raw fruits (oranges, apples)
• Coconut • Raw vegetables (celery, corn, coleslaw)
• Dried fruits (raisins, fi gs) • Spicy foods
• Foods with seeds, nuts
Limit Simple Sugars
• Sugar • Honey
• Candy • Jam, jellies
• Pastries • Sweetened drinks
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
pargolf4231

Post by pargolf4231 »

Thank you all so much. Hopefully this will calm down . It's alot worse at night time. I'm up all night from 1-8 going 10 times a night then 5-6 times during the day. All I've ate lately is eggs banana,rice,oatmeal and toast. Was drinking boost but it seems alot worse after a boost or premier protein shake. Again thank for you all info. I'm a newbie on here found this through inspire.com name is Craig
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

Hi Craig,
Glad the info is of some help. I hope that soon you can get a better night's sleep.
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
ColonLess_Life

Post by ColonLess_Life »

Hello pargolf4231. I had my ileostomy reversal about two years ago. I am still having the same symptoms that you are having. I usually have more bowel movements at night than I do during the day. I also eat rice and bananas with every meal. The rice and bananas help to bulk up things some what. the only thing that has ever helped me get a decent nights sleep, is Norco or Codeine Sulfate. Norco is a pain medication and Codeine sulfate has a small amount of opium in it, that helps to slow down bowel movements. I was given these medications after the Ileostomy reversal, but my doctor said that I could not stay on them. The last time that I had them refilled, I didn't take most of them, so that I could have some in case of emergencies. Just the other day, I pulled a back muscle and I hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep. I took a Norco pill and I slept for six hours, without having any bowel movements. I only have a few more pills left. They come in handy at times. See if your doctor will prescribe you some of this medication. Maybe it will give you some relief, because lack of sleep is not a good thing either. Stay positive, stay blessed.
dcando

Post by dcando »

I understand, having much of the same problems. I am presently taking Tylenol 3's and running out. I was on codeine, but the doctor did not refill them, saying he left his prescription pad behind? They are the only things that seem to help a little to bulk things up without causing the blocked feeling Imodium caused.. I am not having much success taking bulking foods, and Imodium does not agree with me? I see the doctor in 10 days, and hope he will refill one or the other medication?
Jono

Post by Jono »

If he’ll let you, you might try paregoric. It’s dosed in drops, and you can titrate it to effect. In my experience, people don’t tend to have much in the way of systemic effects, and it really slows the gut down.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Hi I’m having same problems I’m going 20+ times a day and a lot of pain I’m also on pain meds. They haven’t slowed flow down. Hope this helps you not only one hope we get better soon. God bless.