Colonoscopy

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ktimothy59

Colonoscopy

Post by ktimothy59 »

I have read some on this board about colonoscopies with a colostomy. I have to admit it scares me. Did you feel any pain in the stoma after? Because of previous posts I did call Coloplast for a High output bag. Can’t wait for prep day.
Jimbob

Re: Colonoscopy

Post by Jimbob »

No problems easier than conventional type.
nickolas

Post by nickolas »

Agree. I've had many colonoscopy with my permanent colostomy. You get to lay down vs being on your side, and no pain.

Good luck,

nickolas
rectal cancer 2004
stage IIIC
permanent colostomy
NED 15yrs and counting
oliveoyl

Post by oliveoyl »

I have two stomas. You go to sleep lying on your back instead of your side, and wake up with a new pouch on. My wafer was left on, and they snapped a new pouch on it. I felt no pain of any kind in my stomas. I had no "jet lag" either, like I did with the regular one. No cramps, no icky feeling at all. I thought it was easier than the regular kind of colonoscopy. I thought it was a "piece of cake; easy peasy."
Olive
Crohn's. 2 stomas. Permanent ileostomy, mucous fistula
"I yam what I yam." Popeye
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Colonoscopies with a colostomy are significantly easier...at least for me. The prep is still the worst part. Heck, since my colostomy, I've been awake and talked with my surgeon each time I've had a scope, usually about hunting, cars, or Razorback sports! No pain, no need for sedatives. In fact, I was able to drive myself home from the last one. Try to relax, it's no big deal.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

SO much easier! Clean-out was easier also because I had a colostomy because of constipation. With a colostomy and the prep, no constipation. Just wore an irrigation sleeve and out it all came. The procedure was so ez, I wanted to watch but they didn't allow that, darn it. So I had a nap and woke up feeling fine. You'll do just fine!

Diane C.
2000 MACE Procedure for Constipation/Distention
2002 Colostomy
2019 Ileostomy and Removal of Colostomy, Rectum, Hernia