Surgery coming up for temporary colostomy

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Dog lover 23320

Re: Surgery coming up for temporary colostomy

Post by Dog lover 23320 »

Hi Bob, yes, im so happy the tumor took to treatment. low anterior resection with the Davinci robot. I have an amazing team of Doctors who are saving my life. I’m lucky
Jenifer, 40.
Dx: stage 2 rectal cancer, LAR, rediagnosed stage 1,Temp Ileostomy
Dog lover 23320

Hello. So I am approximately 5 weeks post op.
Temporary loop ileostomy. The first few weeks
Were awful. My stoma is shaped like a kidney bean
And seems to be an inny so I had a hard time finding
The right appliance. Went to the Wound Clinic was fitted.
So I’m happy with the one piece Coloplast. My poor skin
Is awful tho bec of all the leaks. Reversal surgery scheduled
For early April. I am going back to work full time next
Week and to be honest I am kinda scared
Jenifer, 40.
Dog lover 23320

I’d like to add if anyone is getting a temporary ileostomy be sure
To make a follow up appointment with the wound clinic. When I was in the hospital a nurse showed me how to change it once and I was in pain and out of it on meds. When I got home I panicked. Home health came out and 2 nurses told me to go see my surgeon bec they thought my stoma was prolasping? Well since its a loop it looked weird (yes,really) the first few weeks were a living hell. But it does get better with time and practice.
Coloplast one pieces worked best for me. I found convatec and hollister appliances did not work for me at all. My temporary stoma is near the crease of my belly button so strip paste is critical in preventing leaks. Stoma powder is your friend. Don’t be afraid to use it. And good luck. I don’t think enough education or guidence is done. Its a HUGE body change and its scary. Looking to have my reversal early April 2019.

Dx Stage 2 rectal cancer after pathology report clear margins no lymph nodes involved changed to stage 1 T2. Thank God!
Jenifer, 40.