Severe pain 4 weeks after reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
UnDeRFLiP

Severe pain 4 weeks after reversal

Post by UnDeRFLiP »

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping my fiancee and I can gain some clarity on the following situation. I stumbled across this support forum and it seems like a great place for some information!

My fiancee's father got diagnosed with stage 1 colon cancer early last year. He had surgery a month or so later to remove a small section of his colon and has been cancer free since, which is great news. He had a stoma for the better part of 6 months and has just recently had the reversal surgery (just over 4 weeks ago now).

He is still having severe pain and we're just trying to understand what he's describing. There were a few complications after his reversal surgery where he had to be omitted back in to hospital for water retention. His lower limbs were swelling and he was having a hard time breathing. It's been a very stressful time for all of us and we all just want him to start feeling better. Since his last discharge from the hospital, the water retention has gone away but he's right back to focusing on the pain in his anus.

He was having a very hard time with hemorrhoids and a burning sensation every time he had to sit on the toilet and we could hear him moaning in agony every time he had to go to the bathroom... that stuff seems to be getting better since we're not hearing about it as much but one thing he continues to say is that every time he stands up, it feels like "everything is going to drop". We keep asking him what he means by this but it's very hard for us to understand. Has anyone else had this sensation of "everything wanting to drop" and what did that mean for you? He still has extreme pain when this happens and just before he has to sit on the toilet. He says after everything has passed, the pain goes away. This is causing him to do nothing but sit in his chair all day long because he's fearful of moving, and seems to be getting very depressed. He's gone back to the surgeon for this, but only recently, and had a CAT scan done which we are awaiting the results for this coming week.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation to make us feel a little more at ease? Cheers.
klhack-4722

Re: Severe pain 4 weeks after reversal

Post by klhack-4722 »

I am still having similar situation as well. Had a portion of colon removed from cancer, also had radiation. I have been told that the rectal area now can only hold so much before you feel the pressure to void. Once you void, more stool comes down and sits on the rectal area again. For me it goes on all day long, have about 7-12 bowel movements a day. Also have an uncomfortable feeling down there, almost like a weight is suspended from your lrectal area and pulling it down, thats the only way I can explain it. I have also been told those who go through this may also have a diagnoses of Proctitus. Pain in the rectal area, sensation of always feeling pressure to go, mucous in stool, sometimes blood, feeling like you haven't voided completely. I think that is probably what is going on for both of us. Good luck, let me know what you find out!!