Top rated surgeon for colostomy reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Bacillus Mej

Top rated surgeon for colostomy reversal

Post by Bacillus Mej »

I’m looking for a surgeon or facility that excels in fistula and colostomy reversal surgery, preferably in the southeastern US. (I live in Northwest Florida.) I had emergency surgery in January of 2018 to clean up a ruptured abdominal abscess (from diverticulitis) which required a temporary colostomy, but before the incision could heal I developed a fistula. There have been several complications while waiting (hoping) for the fistula to heal (sepsis from pic line, stroke, endocarditis), so my local surgeon has decided to deal with the fistula and the reversal in one operation. So for now, I’m waiting to more fully recover in preparation for the surgery. I’m very happy with my surgeon, but I’ve heard that fistula operations are exceptionally difficult, and if a nationally top-rated surgeon/facility increases my odds for success even a little bit, I want to take that route. I really don’t even know how to research this online, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Button

Re: Top rated surgeon for colostomy reversal

Post by Button »

Bacillus:
This forum does not engage in a lot of discussion regarding fistulas, so responses to your post may be few.

Healing Well has a number of chronic illness forums. The Healing Well forum for Chron’s Disease would be one site worth your visiting to see if it would be a good match for you. Chron’s is an inflammatory bowel condition that oft gives rise to the development of fistulas.

www.healingwell.com

Look under the main menu for chronic illness forum listings. The Chron’s forum is one of many forums under the heading of chronic illness.

The Cleveland Clinic (Ohio) is one of the Top 5 medical centers in the US identified for clinical excellence in treating conditions of colon-rectal/gastrointestinal tract.

You’ve definitely endured more than your fair share of distressing complications and pain. I hope that you are able to source a knowledgeable surgeon with fistula repair expertise to get you on a better pathway of healing and quality of life.
Karen

Karen
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care
Bacillus Mej

Re: Top rated surgeon for colostomy reversal

Post by Bacillus Mej »

Thank you, Karen.