flat absorbant sticky cover for ileostomy stoma

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
mwortman1

flat absorbant sticky cover for ileostomy stoma

Post by mwortman1 »

i am looking for an absorbent, flat, skin-adherent cover for my ileostomy stoma. Sometimes it leaks small amounts of mucous or what I think of as neobladder boogers. I imagine they are slightly dehydrated blobs of mucus from my neobladder. I also at times have a pinkish exudate probably leaking from my very vascular stoma opening. These body fluids (and solids) are absorbed by or stick to my tee shirt and sometimes leak out to my outer shirt.

I have a homemade solution for the problem but am interested in some kind of stoma cover that will adhere to my skin since I am not interested in wearing a harness or belt. I currently use women's panty liners that are designed to stick to the underpants on one side and absorb drops of urine on the body side. I attach the sticky side to my skin with the absorbent side away from my skin. That acts as a sort of wetness shield to protect my shirt but does not absorb. I then sometimes cut another panty liner in thirds or fourths and stick a bit of it to the sticky side of the liner so that there is an inch or so of absorbent liner against the middle part of the liner which covers the stoma.

The problem is that the sticky side comes loose during the day and I find the liner lying about on the floor, or locker room, or lawn. I have a somewhat hairy belly and I'm sure that interferes with the sticking ability.

My question is: Is there a product already on the market that is effective for my relatively minor problem.
Panamera

Re: flat absorbant sticky cover for ileostomy stoma

Post by Panamera »

I have no idea what size you need but take a look at Austin Medical Products. https://ampatch.com. Been using them for years. They will also make custom sizes. Let me know if you want sales rep information or medical supply companies that carry their items.
chrisc

Re: flat absorbant sticky cover for ileostomy stoma

Post by chrisc »

Ampatches are great, if your insurance covers them. Mine did not. I had a K-Pouch for 36 years and used a "knee sized" bandaid. It worked well. If there was a lot of mucus, I added 2 sheets of toilet paper folded to fit. You can change the paper when needed and the bandaid would still still stick.