Pressure and pain in ileostomy reversal site

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
teenyevans_1

Pressure and pain in ileostomy reversal site

Post by teenyevans_1 »

I had my reversal surgery 7 weeks ago. I have experienced pain and discomfort on and off in the surgical site area for the past few weeks. I stated having 3 nights in a row of terrible pain, loud bowel noises and straining to poop. I realized that even though I was having bowel movements, I was not going enough and was scared I had busted a suture or something more serious as the pain got worse. I saw my surgeon and she told me to take miralax every day, and that she hoped it wasn’t a hernia. I started doing that and it helped, was able to go more and more often but every few days, the pressure builds and I have to take Milk of Mag toempty mysekf our and the pressure and discomfort goes away. But on Friday, the same discomfort and pain returned even though I was pooping through out the day. Pain and pressure still remained yesterday and I took Milk of mag last night. I emptied and felt better, but this morning the pain is back. There were days this week, it was my first week back sat work, where I have no pain or discomfort at all. Nerve pain comes and goes, feels like little pieces of glass trying to come out. I just don’t know what is normal and what isn’t. I’m so sick of worrying about every pain and issue and wondering if it’s something to be considered about. Unless you have been though something like this yourself, no one around you understands. Any help, words of encouragement or people who can relate to the ups and downs of all of this would be greatly appreciated.
jiji

Re: Pressure and pain in ileostomy reversal site

Post by jiji »

Hi! I know it has been some time since you posted, but I was wondering how everything turned out? I am 3 weeks ileo reversal and concerned about new pressure/ discomfort.
christineb1975

Re: Pressure and pain in ileostomy reversal site

Post by christineb1975 »

Hi,

My husband had his ileostomy reversal in August and still has a lot of "pressure/discomfort" each day. The wound site is healed but it's still very swollen/puffy - usually worse at the end of the day or after eating (and not going to the bathroom). On the upside, he only has 2-3 BM's a day much better than than the 10+ he was having.
He doesn't have a fever or pain - he says it's more "pressure/discomfort" and a lot of gas.
I am worried he has a hernia b/c of the way his belly looks - as if right near the site, it's a bit "pointed" or popped out just in that area.
He doesn't go back for a follow up until Dec 3.

Wondering how OP is doing....