irrigating in random hotels

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
darick

irrigating in random hotels

Post by darick »

on road trips, I periodically encounter bathrooms setup in such a way, that I have nothing to hang my irrigation bag on every few days. thought I'd share a recent 'hack' I did to perform my irrigation...

Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-
ot dave

Re: irrigating in random hotels

Post by ot dave »

Well played sir! Well played...
I have even used picture frames that were secured above toilets in a couple of hotels. Usually in hotels, they have pictures securely screwed into the wall, so they are actually quite sturdy. I do like this hack! Thanks for sharing.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Necessity is truly the mother of invention.....
Zenobia

Post by Zenobia »

Ha, I love it! This is great, very creative -- bravo!

Happy New Year, Everyone!
xoxo Zenobia
thxguyca

Post by thxguyca »

Good idea - I carry a metal S hook in my travel kit that allows me to hang the water up on the shower curtain rod or over top of the door to the bathroom. I have the 5" or 6" size that will go over a door easily.

steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Made me laugh out loud.
Hotels can be a real challenge.
I discovered a spare ostomy belt can be looped over a lot of things.
Lee

I am not my disease.
kitmcc

Post by kitmcc »

Brilliant! I've been irrigating for 16 years and have definitely learned to travel expecting the unexpected, with increasing equanimity if not humor. My latest adventure was on a fast-booked trip to England when I discovered I hadn't packed a belt or faceplate. Sister-in-law had a box of tangled ribbons and odd shoestrings. I opted for one of the latter which looked promising but it promptly split the plastic ring on the sleeve. Yes, only brought one sleeve somehow as well. Duct tape to the rescue. I had to rewrap and pierce it several times during the trip for the makeshift ring, plus the shoestring didn't allow the sleeve to lie flat. But hey, I'm so grateful to be able to have the pouch-free-living option. Plus the shoestring was a ridiculously bright pink -- probably from some long-grown kid's skates - that made me smile. The ironing board is a hoot, and the hack's going on my list thanks.
autodraw

Post by autodraw »

Brilliant!! I travel a lot and this is a new trick I've never seen. Bravo!! I'll pass this one along for sure.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

I use the shower curtain rings or a hanger from the closet (if the closet has real hangers). I travel 2 days a week & have never had a problem. I stay at the same hotel chain if possible as I know the bathrooms are set up the same at each location.
darick

Post by darick »

I use the hangers were possible also. As available, I try to use mobility accessible rooms that have shower/tubs with full handle bars (and optional seat), as my right leg is pretty messed up and can't support my weight; also slipped a few times (ouch). In those cases, the shower is typically pretty far from the toilet, so I can't use the curtain rod to hold my bag nearby.

I have one of these in my irrigation kit also: https://www.amazon.com/HEROCLIP-Hybrid- ... B07LB3C55R
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-