Surgeons in Australia doing k-pouch/continent ostomy

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Chute

Surgeons in Australia doing k-pouch/continent ostomy

Post by Chute »

Hi All,
I have an ileostomy and am about to have my rectum/anus removed/sewn up because of too much damage from my UC and have been investigating other options for a while. I am trying to find an up to date list of surgeons In Australia who do the Kock Pouch and am struggling... I know of 1 for sure, and if it comes to that I will go there. But if there are other options it’d be nice to try...
My current doc is dead against me wanting this... but In all the research iv done, of course there are sometimes complications but 90% of the time they are minor and the risk is far outweighed by the benefit! I want my life back.. I want this bag gone.. I can’t have a j-pouch, so why can’t I have this option instead. I can’t just settle for my ileostomy... knowing people all around the world actually have this option.

I actually found a great article in the Australian ostomy magazine from this year of 2 ladies who had the k-pouch constructed within Australian and each are going strong! http://australianstoma.com.au/wp-conten ... l-2017.pdf They were actually trying to build a network within Australia for people who have these continent ostomys, but the phone number I ring doesn’t answer and I have emailed
Based on this and nobody responds. http://qldstoma.asn.au/images/pdf/Adult ... ostomy.pdf

Also, the latest master list of surgeons isn’t up to date for Aus because the only Australian doctor listed passed away. There is still one in Melbourne who I have contacted, but it’s a different hospital and doctor.

Does anybody here have any info?
BillV

Re: Surgeons in Australia doing k-pouch/continent ostomy

Post by BillV »

I am sorry that I don’t know which surgeons in Australia perform K pouches since I live in the US. I do know that K pouch and BCIR surgeries are significantly more involved than an end ileostomy and it is best to select a surgeon who has done many of them. The position of your current doctor about continent ileostomies does not surprise me since many doctors in the US also do this in spite of more surgeons here who do these procedures. A noted surgeon at a well-known medical center tried this on me when I went for a second opinion, but I was fortunate to know about the BCIR and had it done with completely satisfactory results. I really wonder how many of these doctors with negative opinions would feel the same about continent ileostomies if they had to live with a bag attached to their abdomen.

I am happy that you did your research on continent ileostomies and are in a position to make an informed decision. I have had my BCIR since 2013 and have enjoyed a much better quality of life with it than if I had gotten the bag. If I were to experience complications later on, I would fight strongly to keep my pouch. I wish you the best on your search and surgery.
bcirray

Post by bcirray »

Prof Jack Mackay at St Vincents Melbourne
(NEW surgeon training by Dr Fazio)
Telephone: +61 (0)3 9895 7633
Director of Epworth Eastern Private Hospital
http://www.epworth.org.au/Eastern/Home.aspx
Melbourne Australia

I found this on the jpouch/kpouch web site.
Chute

Post by Chute »

I should probably reply...
I just had my k-pouch surgery completed in Melbourne by Dr Satish Warrier. I am 4 weeks post op and it’s been a bloody long slog! I guess I underestimated the massiveness of this operation and I have had so many moments of regret so far!! But I can see a positive ending in the distant future... just gotta get there! Over 1000 stitches does that to a person.. I also had my rectum removed so there is a lot of recovering to be done!

My pouch is continent and I am able to intubate (even though currently I am leaving in the tube for a bit of rest. I am sooo tired)... iv also got wicked gas and nausea going on at the moment so leaving the tube in gives me a quick release which I need at the moment

Fingers crossed things improve soon and I get to reap the benefits of this monumental surgery!
Yurika

Post by Yurika »

Can I ask how you are going now? I am also in Australia and considering this surgery. I had my end ileostomy and colectomy a year ago.
Chute

Post by Chute »

I thought I better reply here. I replied to the notification I got via email but it might not have gone anywhere

Hey
I’m doing great! who are you looking to have your surgery with?

It was a super rough surgery and hard recovery but I’m 9 months out and doing great! I sleep thru the night.. it’s easier to get my tube in and I can last 8-9 hours eating full meals without emptying without even noticing! 100x better than the bag!
I also travel heaps and do sports and exercise without worries. Heading to Canada for 10 days snowboarding in jan!

There’s some Facebook groups to get some info from others if your interested.

Let me know if u want anymore info.
I have pics and stuff too (I was super curious what it would look like or be like in general or how to intubate, etc). I’m pretty open with the whole Process!
Dustys

Post by Dustys »

Hi there,
I’m interested in the Facebook groups and pics etc you mentioned in this post.
Many thanks
EmJT82

Post by EmJT82 »

Hello my name is Emily, I got a K Pouch done by Dr Satish Warrier this year, it’s a very long and scary story but with a happy ending. If you are still looking into getting one, I am happy to talk to you over the phone or via email. Hopefully I can help you.

Kind regards,
Emily
LRM-134

Post by LRM-134 »

Hi, can anyone help me to find an updated list of surgeons in Australia doing the BCIR