Positive reversal outcome

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
symccall

Positive reversal outcome

Post by symccall »

I had an ileostomy reversal surgery 3 weeks ago and so far all is going well. I was concerned about doing the reversal because of all the negative comments I read and even considered keeping the ileostomy permanently. Unfortunately it appears that many people have severe issues after this procedure but I was blessed with a positive outcome and wanted to pass along as encouragement to others.
sassie

Re: Positive reversal outcome

Post by sassie »

Happy to hear your doing so well,I had mine reversed last sept"i had a colostomy but ended up with a colectomy,it has taken time but no regrets...

Best of everything, sassie..
Kalehue

Post by Kalehue »

I am so encouraged to read about your positive reversal outcome. I had my ileostomy reversal surgery 5 days ago. It took two days before I was passing gas and very quickly behind the gas came diarrhea -- without any warning. After two episodes of incontinence, I ended up with a diaper and was quite discouraged. Once I got home, I seemed to have more control and more warning and I feel like things are starting to smooth out a bit. Today I went all day without a single trip to the bathroom until after dinner. Unfortunately, after dinner I was back to very loose bowel movements and have had three so far this evening, but I am more encouraged and hoping to settle into a routine of sorts. After all, it's only day 5. I, too, had considered keeping my ileostomy permanently. Once I found the right bag to deal with my stoma, it really wasn't a problem except for the malabsorption, so I knew that for my long-term health, the reversal was the right decision. I just hope that all becomes more manageable sooner than later!
DLViere

Post by DLViere »

symccall wrote: 2020-02-01 13:21:31 I had an ileostomy reversal surgery 3 weeks ago and so far all is going well. I was concerned about doing the reversal because of all the negative comments I read and even considered keeping the ileostomy permanently. Unfortunately it appears that many people have severe issues after this procedure but I was blessed with a positive outcome and wanted to pass along as encouragement to others.
Thank you for sharing this....I am apprehensive (for the same reasons you mentioned) about my upcoming reversal. I still have 3-4 months of healing time from the original emergent surgery--and can see that I will find a sense of "control" with the ileostomy that, if other comments of negative results happen to me, I will not enjoy with the reversal.

I am encouraged to read a positive outcome and so happy for you!