Peristalsis in colon 5 months post takedown

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
gardenerj

Peristalsis in colon 5 months post takedown

Post by gardenerj »

Hi all -

I’m 5 months post takedown surgery, due to colon cancer in 2018/19. I’ve had a relatively normal recovery - almost better then most from what I read. My main issue is painful/uncomfortable peristalsis in my colon (from my lower back to my rectum) anytime I eat or drink anything. I know peristalsis is good, because it keeps things moving along, I am just having a problem feeling all of it! I had a routine colonoscopy done this week, thinking that maybe I had a fissure or something, but everything was fine. The discomfort and pain is so bad that half of the time I have to completely stop what I’m doing and wait for the contraction to pass. It gets uncomfortable to even sit, lay down, be touched at all. I notice it more when it’s cold (when I take a hot bath it helps). It also really helps to smoke cannabis - this has been more helpful then gapapentin, ibprofan, etc. If I smoke one or two hits of cannabis, I can sleep through the night with no issues.

Does anyone else experience these contractions (peristalsis, also known as motility disorder)?

Thanks! Be well.
ot dave

Re: Peristalsis in colon 5 months post takedown

Post by ot dave »

Hey Gardener.

I have zero experience with takedowns as my colostomy is permanent. In reading your post however, it almost sounds like you might have some scar tissue that is giving you an issue. Was the re-connection made at the point where you are having the discomfort? Was the discomfort immediate, or did it increase over time?
Scar tissue is necessary, but can be an ugly mistress sometimes. Scar can be a little indiscriminate when it's forming. Basically it'll adhere to anything that it's close to until the scar matures...which could take up to 12 months. If you are experiencing the discomfort during peristalsis and no other time, I would lean towards scar tissue being a culprit as it isn't being stretched at rest, therefore no pain... On the surface, and around joints, scar tissue is easy to massage and perform stretching in order to get it to break loose from surrounding structures. I'm not sure how to go about massaging or stretching the areas around your re-connection though...
Heat makes everything feel better, especially moist heat. Heat makes things expand, and it helps to relax muscles. Moist heat in particular is quite effective at this. When things are constricted (cold), they don't like to move, and movement of things locked down by scar tissue are going to be more uncomfortable.
The use of cannabis causes a reduction in activity in the motor neuron, which is the thing that tells our muscles to contract. Peristalsis is performed by smooth musculature (you don't have conscious control of it). If you are shutting down the motor neuron, then the pull on scar tissue is alleviated, and therefore no discomfort.
I'm not sure how you'd rule this out, maybe MRI, maybe CT scan. Fixing it would be even more invasive as I assume it would require some surgical intervention. I just don't know for sure.
Hopefully this helps give you a starting point to look at and discuss with your doctor.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
gardenerj

Re: Peristalsis in colon 5 months post takedown

Post by gardenerj »

Hi David,

Thanks for your detailed response. Yes to all of it, especially the cannabis info... I’m a botanist so luckily I’m well educated in medicinal herbs.

Last week I had a colonoscopy and ct scans and have no hemorrhoids, fissures, scar tissue or issue with surgery connection site. (!) They even took a biopsy of the tissue at connection and it all came back normal.

I’m currently trying a compound suppository of cacao butter, lidocaine and two other muscle relaxing ingredients. We shall see...

Thanks again.