Great idea, bad result

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
steiconi

Great idea, bad result

Post by steiconi »

Looking for a way to keep the end of my irrigation sleeve from slipping out of the toilet, I used wire to connect a binder clip to a plastic toy.

The toy went into the toilet about 2" , well above the waterline. The wire passed under the seat, and the clip attached to the sleeve. The toy and clip were each too big to slide through the gap between bowl and seat.

Worked great until the other night, when I somehow knocked the clip off while the toilet was flushing. The whole contraption went down the drain. I fished down the drain with a wire, but didn't find it. It seems to have passed through, everything is flowing properly.

Lesson learned. Version 2.0 will be a clip tied securely to the seat.
Lee

I am not my disease.
darick

Re: Great idea, bad result

Post by darick »

Do you sit on a seat beside the toilet, with the long sleeve going into the toilet? Trying to picture this setup.
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Yeah, on a seat opposite the toilet.
Lee

I am not my disease.
darick

Post by darick »

Ah. I just sit on my toilet seat directly. I cut the sleeve in half, so its long enough to hang straight down into the toilet.
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I don't like sitting on the toilet, it's not comfortable.
I used to sit elsewhere and empty while standing, but had too many code browns, so I'm trying new positions. My toilet is in it's own little room inside the bathroom. By taking off the inner door, I have room for a ceramic garden stool that is comfortable to sit on and easy to clean.
Lee

I am not my disease.
darick

Post by darick »

Toilet seats are replaceable ;) There are some comfy ones out there.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

When we built our house in 2013, we had 2 potty rooms put in the master bathroom as we knew I was going to be a lifelong irrigator. That said, I went and "tried out" a multitude of toilets for comfort. I finally found the one that was the right height, width, and depth for me to sit on for extended periods of time. You wouldn't think there would be that many! So, I am able to sit on the toilet to irrigate. I simply put the sleeve under my right leg, securing it in place, but leaving about half of the sleeve open for output to flow into the toilet. Works like a charm.

But, if you are going to sit in a chair opposite the toilet, I would highly recommend investing in some vice grips. You can find them in a variety of sizes and at just about any hardware store. I spent 2 weeks camping/hunting in Colorado one year, and irrigated into a 5 gallon bucket. The vice grips held the sleeve in place so that output could flow freely into the bucket, and it never failed.
Hope that helps.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Murph00

Post by Murph00 »

Hey Lee,
Some of you already know this but for those that don't -
After reading what you have to go through with your irrigation process I feel I should share again. I irrigate through my pouch every day with no need for sleeves or switching to any additional devices. Using the Coloplast wide opening pouch and irrigation kit I just work the opening back so I can see the stoma, insert the cone and irrigate away. The infusion process is done while kneeling in front of the bowl, then I turn around, sit down and let it flow. The pouch hangs comfortably between my legs, no mess, and rinse the pouch when I'm done. I have recently switched to the Coloplast mid size Mio pouch and it still works. I get 3-4 days wear time from the new Mio's.

Best,
Murph
Testicular Ca 2007
IV Colorectal Ca 2011
Colostomy 2011
Irrigation 2014
Lung resection x2 2012,17
Mikem

Post by Mikem »

Lee,

If you haven't already, you might consider snaking the line with a longer professional plumbing tool. The contraption you describe seems like a recipe for a future plumbing problem. Does not sound like something that will flow easily through a typical plumbing system but could easily start a blockage which would build up over time.

Using a ostomy clip on sleeve and bucket is my preference. From my office chair in front of the commode I will carefully (avoiding backsplash) empty as required and reinfuse. The bucket is actually a plastic trash can with a removeable lid with a few inches of water.

MikeM
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC