An Update

Share the non-ostomy part of your life (but please limit the random jokes!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
To Dream a Dream

An Update

Post by To Dream a Dream »

We have been facing multiple health challenges over the past two years. I do apologize for not keeping up with posts, especially reviews of the Phoenix Magazine. But writing has taken second or even third place to the immediate concerns of the day.
As I type I am awaiting (hopefully) the discharge & arrival of my husband who was taken to the ER last Thursday because the problems he had been experiencing had escalated to numbness & loss of feelings in his legs. I will not dwell on this. The Lord has been good. Having sent compassionate people to assist us.
My husband finally under went an intensive spinal surgery in the past week. Unsettling to say the least in many ways. I had not realized how completely things have changed on the modern medicine scene since my own last admission. But staff were kind despite my blunders (i.e. expecting more information directly to me from a physician, requesting returns to my phone calls, etc. & my husband was under the stress & could not even tell me the name of the neurosurgeon before the day of surgery.)
As I stated the Lord has been good to us in my husband's ongoing recovery. The surgeon spoke politely & considerately to me in his post-op interview. (By the way, he also has excellent credentials according to the Clinic's website.) And we continue to pray for a successful outcome.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
To Dream a Dream

Re: An Update

The Lord has continued to be with us & my husband has been steadily improving since his homecoming. Today is his post-op appt. with the surgeon. We are very thankful this holiday week.
And amid the paperwork he brought home, I found a folder he had been given chock full of handouts, pamphlets etc. containing info designed to guide us through his hospital stay. Please be aware that keeping good lines of communication between the patient, primary caregivers & staff could have alleviated much of the stress I experienced. Difficult to maintain, I know under the circumstances. But vitally important.
I learned the value of something as simple as supplying the pt. with a pencil & paper to jot down names & titles of doctors. Also of finding a point person among the staff to contact for follow-up. In our case it is a Nursing Care Coordinator. Hopefully, an unpleasant experience has been turned into a learning one.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
cdogtom

Post by cdogtom »

best wishes to you and your husband,i will be thinking of you
cdogtom

Post by cdogtom »

Dream. hope all went well with your husband's surgery. stay well with all that is happening now with the virus
To Dream a Dream

Thanks, Tom. We seem to have had a bout with 'the flu' that was making the rounds in our area in late winter, but praise God were able to recover although it did take its toll. Today is nice enough that I puttered amid my flowers & my husband fished for awhile at one of the local ponds. Nothing so impressive as that huge one on your avatar (a striper?), but he enjoys being able to bring in fresh pan fish for dinner. Prayers to you & your family to be safe thru all of this. Our old world is changing.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
cdogtom

Post by cdogtom »

indeed