Question for Apartment Dwellers ...and anyone else actually

Share the non-ostomy part of your life (but please limit the random jokes!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Sinfulsot

Question for Apartment Dwellers ...and anyone else actually

Post by Sinfulsot »

I have recently moved to an apartment that has laundry facitilies in the building. Should there be a breach in the night, i like to wash the poopy clothes twice, something i might have picked up here in my more newer days. And the first wash is just said clothes as the load with the second being a load of regular laundry.

To save on trips/money/et al, what would be a good pretreatment or sort of first wash? To answer my own question, just let it soak in a bucket maybe with some detergent?

For newer eyes: perm colo 10.5 years. this forum got me through my newbie days.

for older eyes: i keep assuming i have a bad reputation around here, but i seek knowledge. And from i learned on Hamburger Hill*, you listen to people who know.

*A misquote of the movie of the same name
Stomas are red
Asphyxia is blue
Yes I am very morbid
And darn cynical too
To Dream a Dream

Re: Question for Apartment Dwellers ...and anyone else actually

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Yes, a pre-soak in cold water will definitely help. (Many many moons ago, I remember being extremely anemic & washing bloody feces out of a favorite green nightgown in pre-total colectomy days in an apartment tub rather than stuffing it into the trash. A few months later, post-colectomy, I was wearing that same nightie when I bestowed a rather lingering/grateful kiss upon one of my attending angels while he made his evening rounds. So, for any discouraged newbies out there, one never knows . . .)
Good to have you on Board again. It is two years this month since losing my Snow Lion (see my post of 9/20). Have you ever seen a movie, The Bride, starring Sting? One of my favorites containing a favorite line: Follow your heart. And keep dreaming. Great advice for all any day, esp. during these uncertain times.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Mara

Post by Mara »

Sinfulsot, long time no see. Good luck in your new home!
Luckily I rarely have leakage issues - I probably just jinxed myself ;-) If I get my night clothes soiled, I would just soak them in the sink with some detergent - don't know if cold or hot water is better.
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
Sinfulsot

Post by Sinfulsot »

Good to see you Mara!

Dream, I am not sure if i finished that movie. It's a take on Frankenstein, right? jennifer beals is "the monster".

This laundry facility is severely lacking. The washing machines are a little gross. and the dryers don't seem to do a good job. I still have to try them all and i am debating on making little secret marks so i know which ones to stay away from. the washers have this weird catch around the door. these washers are front loaders. And before each load, i will have to clear this catch, much like a dryer's lint screen.

But as to my topic question, it's a good thing i bought that bucket. and cold water should be fine (it's the setting on the washing machine so...)

I am not sure how long i will be staying, but stay tuned for an update of sorts. Maybe i can clear up and/or better define my bad reputation.
Stomas are red
Asphyxia is blue
Yes I am very morbid
And darn cynical too
Mara

Post by Mara »

Sinfulsot - I am surprised that your laundry facility is dirty. Where I live they are constantly cleaning particularly since the pandemic and even have 'senior only' hours twice a week. You really should notify your management.

I guess my memory is going - I do not remember your bad reputation - maybe I should look through your old posts.... :roll:
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
Sinfulsot

Post by Sinfulsot »

It's clean. it's this catch that people seem to overlook. it's part of the seal of the washer door i think.

Bad rep might not be the best way to put it
Stomas are red
Asphyxia is blue
Yes I am very morbid
And darn cynical too
Sinfulsot

Post by Sinfulsot »

Just to follow up. The few breaches I have had have done well with the presoak. I leave it overnight. Give it a good wringing in the water to make sure the solid matter stays in the water. And into the wash.
Stomas are red
Asphyxia is blue
Yes I am very morbid
And darn cynical too
phozzy

Post by phozzy »

Hiya Sin, good to see you are still hanging in there, as to the soiled clothing, I used real cloth diapers when my child was born and I always swished them in the toilet to get the solid matter off then tossed them into a bucket with Ivory Snow...hehe, I'm time dating myself. Anyways, those habits followed me into my colostomy cleans ups and I do the same thing to my clothing when I have a code brown. swish them in the toilet in cold water, then toss them into a bucket with detergent and let them soak until I do my next load of laundry. I still have a covered diaper pail that I use to do it, works like a charm. I also spritz the stained area with some spray n wash before I toss them into the laundry, especially light colored garments, it helps clear out any oily marks that may linger.
Debbie
Temp colo 5/1/10
Colon rupture by Endometreosis