SINGLE-USE V MULTI-USE OSTOMY BAGS

A place where Military Veterans with Ostomies and Diversions can discuss items of common interest.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
RONMBA

SINGLE-USE V MULTI-USE OSTOMY BAGS

Post by RONMBA »

I WILL BE GETTING A COLOSTOMY. I NOTICE MOST OF THE POSTINGS I'VE SEEN HERE ARE FROM PEOPLE WHO USE MULTI-USE OSTOMY BAGS. WHY WOULD ANYONE USE A MULTI-USE BAG RATHER THAN A SINGLE USE BAG???
ot dave

Re: SINGLE-USE V MULTI-USE OSTOMY BAGS

Post by ot dave »

Hey RONMBA,
You'll find that with ostomies and ostomy appliances, that there is NOT a "one size fits all". Many factors are in play when selecting an ostomy appliance, and they are all individual. Some prefer two piece over one piece systems. Some prefer closed pouches to drainable pouches. Some folks need to ration pouch use due to finances, etc, etc.
For me, I prefer using a two piece drainable system throughout the day. It allows me the ability to manage my ostomy almost the same way that I would have managed prior to the ostomy. I can use any restroom with a drainable pouch, and actually be done faster than I did with my original plumbing! That said, I do like to rinse my pouch out with water when emptying it out, but it's not necessary...again, that's an individual thing that I do that helps me manage the ostomy the way I want to....
I'll also note, that I have a colostomy, and I irrigate my colon daily. This allows me to have more control over my output, and I can have an empty pouch for 24-48 hours with the use of immodium and diet strategies. Check out the irrigation forum if this is something you might be interested in pursuing. Lots of good tips and suggestions there.
Hope that helps. Also, just for future reference, if you post these more general questions, you might want to post it in the general forum...you'll get more "traffic" over there.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2