Leakage through tail clip.

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
John289

Leakage through tail clip.

Post by John289 »

I have been using Convatec Sur-Fit Natura drainable Pouches for decades without a problem. Over the past two years though I have been experiencing intermittent leakage through the tail clip. This happens mostly over night or if I do not empty the pouch after five or six hours, and it’s an intermittent issue. I am interested if anyone has experienced this problem with this pouch or any other Convatec pouches.
hownlo

Re: Leakage through tail clip.

Post by hownlo »

Same problem has been going on for me too. Tried their velcro pouch, same problem
Went back to the tail clip and took more time in clamping it closed (push up and press along clip) Still happened but not as often, so now I add a small folded piece of TP to the tail flap. Not a cure, but best I could do.
Mara

Post by Mara »

I also use that same pouch but I use the very old-fashioned plastic clips that haven't been made for decades. Here is a link to a photo - the top one is the old-fashioned plastic one and the bottom is the current rubbery one which is a bit longer.
https://tinyurl.com/4fh9eyt7

I can't remember having a leak and I use the same clip for months if not years..... :shock:
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

Thank you for this post. I wondered if it was just me! And I, too, have pretty much just used this for more than 30 years.

NO IDEA what has changed but it is annoying. And doesn't happen every time. I've used the bit of TP, too.
JerryNYC

Post by JerryNYC »

One "spill" many years ago was all I needed to try something more dependable. I tried rubber bands for a while but they tend to break. What I have been using are elastic bands designed to hold "pony tails" in place. In the hair products section of my local pharmacy, I use a brand called "Scunci". I use a thickness numbered as 15975. There are narrower bands that are easier to use but they are embedded with thin metallic fibers that tend to break through with wear and puncture the tail of the pouch. I wrap around 2 of these bands but 3 might make you feel more secure. Make sure that the tail of the pouch is dry before you wrap these on; if it is wet the bands may have a tendency to slide off, especially when the pouch is loaded.
Mara

Post by Mara »

If you all are having issues with the rubber clip I think you should complain to Convatec...and tell them you are not the only one as they often try to say no one else has complained....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
james2005

Post by james2005 »

I had this problem in 2017. I got in touch with convatec after many conversations the problem got resolved. Now I have found another problem and am in touch with convatec. I have defined the problem now ...will let ya know what comes of it.
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

@James2005 - what did you do, or what did Convatec do, to resolve the tail clip issue? And always interested to see other experiences/solutions to any issues. TIA!
John289

Post by John289 »

No solution yet... I talk with them after I open a new box of pouches and experience leakage. Why are most folks not having leakage problems, yet some of us are. What are we doing different than those that are not having this issue?
sandys

Post by sandys »

I have used the clip but now prefer the velcro closure.

WhatI do is either rinse the bag (I’m retired and mostly at home) or if output is liquid I just clean spout with toilet paper. Then I add M9 liquid deodorant which is blue, and again wipe out spout. Even so I usually get some blue stains on my cotton underpants, but they are odorless and wash out.
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
Txwildman

Post by Txwildman »

I’ve had seepage a very small number of times when the clip was very worn or the bag had stretched somehow (been at this ostomy thing now 38 years). It is extremely rare, but I have always used the Convatec duolock closures, not the ones they send in the bag box. I also put a #5 “O-ring” around thr clip so the lock can’t pop open. You can find the O-ring in any hardware store like Lowe’s or Home Depot in the plumbing section. About $2 for a box of 10. I’m very active and got that suggestion from another board member 15 + years ago. Hasn’t accidentally opened since then. A duolock clip ($3)can last many months and are durable.. hope this helps.
John289

Post by John289 »

Thanks for your reply... I have been using the duolock clips also, they do last a long time. I still have leakage through those clips too. I am trying to place the clip in different places on the pouch (making the tail longer or shorter) that seems to help. Im still working on the issue...
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I use tail clips because I find the velcro closures hard to clean. You may want to buy "Pearls" or "Diamonds." They are small sachets that you insert in your pouch and they form a gel that can absorb much of the liquid. I push them down to the clip area. You can get a sample of Pearls from Trio: https://trioostomycare.com/products/trio-pearls/. Convatec sells "Diamonds" which are similar but they have a charcoal ingredient that can stain so I prefer Pearls. I don't think Medicare or insurance will cover either but they do help with pouches that have much liquid, esp if you're an ileostomate. Ebay and Amazon sell them also. Why they're named after jewelry-like products -- I don't know! ;)

Good luck!
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
John289

Post by John289 »

I agree with you about the velcro closures. The clips are so much easier to use. This current lot of pouches Im using (2nd pouch frim this box) have not leaked at all. If this continues through a few more pouches, I will call Convatec to find out if they have made any changes... though I doubt they will tell me.
arlie

Post by arlie »

Late to the party - just saw this. I experienced leakage from one lot # only. The boxes were replaced by Convatec & the replacements are fine.