Can we have a discussion on pouches?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
RobinFl

Can we have a discussion on pouches?

Post by RobinFl »

I've had a colostomy since 2009 and have been using a Hollister two-piece system with a closed pouch ever since. I also use an abdominal binder with a custom cut-out for the pouch, which sometimes complicates things if, for some reason, the pouch becomes overly full of substance. I know, it's not "supposed to" get that full, but unfortunately, things happen sometimes.

I recently had a bout of constipation; my doctor wanted me to have several days consuming bisacodyl followed with a bottle of mag citrate each day. In this case, having a drainable pouch is a no-brainer, but then I got thinking about whether or not it would be beneficial to switch to a drainable pouch or possibly just having a combination of both. Hollister offers a drainable pouch with a rollup Velcro closure and another with plastic clips.

I'd like to know what others use (brand doesn't matter), and why, and how often you change your appliances?

When it comes to drainable pouches, are there pros and cons over the type with clips or any other type of closing mechanisms? To me, it seems the clipless might be more convenient. Of course, leakage is always a major concern.

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
To Dream a Dream

Re: Can we have a discussion on pouches?

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Having an ileo with a shortened small bowel (no colon), I have always used a drainable. Initially I used clips from back in the old days when they were made with rubber bands (ugh!) to the plastic bar type that snap shut. I began using ConvaTec's Natura line in 2010 (?) with the Velcro closure which I prefer if everything is perfectly lined up. If not, I have had leakage. Rather than the Velcro which can also snag underwear, I wonder if any manufacturers have considered some sort of zipper i.e. those on Hefty freezer bags.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

I use the Hollister New Image drainable pouches. I've never had leakage at the velcro closure. I irrigate, so I like the flexibility of a 2 piece system. In the morning I place on my irrigation sleeve and irrigate. After I'm done, I put on a normal drainable pouch for the day. Even though I irrigate, some foods still affect my system, so I still wear a pouch, but it is empty 99% of the time. Before bed, I change into a closed mini-pouch because I dislike getting the tail of a longer pouch caught up in the sheets! I wake up the next morning and start all over. I usually get a weeks use out of a flange.

If you're having trouble with constipation, you might want to look into irrigating. I irrigate every morning which gives me back a lot of control over my output. Hope that helps.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I the clip for the simple reason that I can turtle neck the opening, wipe a couple of times and then unfold it and reclip it. All within 1 minute.
RobinFl

Post by RobinFl »

Thank you all for the replies. They give me more to think about, and I can always try the different products.

I left out of the original post that I am a quadriplegic and do not have hand or finger function due to paralysis. At one time, I had a personal caregiver who helped me irrigate three times a week, and it worked well for several years. Unfortunately, that person passed away, and I stopped doing it. That was an exceptional caregiver and not something you can expect, or even ask, just anyone to give you a hand with.

Thanks again for the replies.
BillGK

Post by BillGK »

I used closed pouches for years. Now I used drainable exclusively. I much prefer the convenience and have never had a leaK.

I use a Coloplast pouch with adhesive coupling. The tailpiece closure is designed so that there is no digging around in order to get it clean, never get my hands messed up.. I love the convenience of not having to take any supplies with me when I am out and about.
Observer

Post by Observer »

I use flashable pouches, they are great, except, expensive to run, because you have to change bags after three to four hours, because they stink
rickmurtagh

Post by rickmurtagh »

I have been using the Hollister New Image drainable for a decade now and I seldom have issues.

Once or twice batch of pouches came apart - never a fun time with that.

Occasionally that stinky small intestine clear liquid gangs up on my wafer and causes it to have to be changed prematurely.

I have tried many other products. Hollister works the best for me ATM. Drainable is the ONLY way I could manage my life the way I live it.

I change my appliance every 2-4 days - it just depends what I eat, what I do, how careful I was changing the appliance, what I wear and the weather.

Also, if you don't roll up the bag and attach the velcro bit poop will leak out the bag and down your leg and it's not the manufacturer's fault...
Ileo, colectomy 06/09
Takedown 04/10
Sacral infect. 03/11
Perm ileo 04/11
RobinFl

Post by RobinFl »

Thanks again, for all your feedback.