Itchy skin around stoma

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
sandys

Itchy skin around stoma

Post by sandys »

Hi all,

I don’t post often but read often and find helpful hints regularly, so here is mine.

I got out of hospital yesterday, a bacterial infection from unknown causes.I was in 5 days and not eating much other than Cheerios and bananas. The hospital food was awful and I wasn’t
hungry.

As a celebration we had dinner at our favorite Middle Eastern restaurant (hummus, baba ganoush,greek salad,stuffed grape leaves,etc). It tasted delicous.

Then at midnight I awoke with terrible itching around stoma. I thought it was big leak,but when I removed faceplate (Convatec Durahesive with Eakin seal) all was leak-free, but skin was red and inching.

Fortunately my brain was working and I remembered that an antacid liquid could work so I slathered it on with a cotton pad and waited about 5 minutes then washed ii off with cold watet and dried skin thoroughly. I reapplied seal and faceplate and sat up for about an hour applying pressure with hand, itching was gone so I went back to bed, problem solved.No more itching.
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
steiconi

Re: Itchy skin around stoma

Post by steiconi »

Antacid liquid? What was causing the itch, some kind of acid?
Lee

I am not my disease.
sandys

Post by sandys »

No, it was maybe a reaction to some of the food I ate after five days of eating bland food. The antacid acts as an anti-itch remedy.
Sandy in Indiana

xctm1

Post by xctm1 »

Just an FYI, I use a precut bag and change about once a week. I figured out the itching that I sometimes get the day after I change is just the small amount of skin around the stoma being irritated by the outflow because I might not have the pouch in EXACTLY the same position as the old one. It usually goes away after a day or so but it is definitely affected by the amount of spicy food I eat.
sandys

Post by sandys »

Update!

I finally figured out that the Eakin seal was irritating my skin.i had tried and liked the Hollister Cera rings,but after a couple of changes they started itching as well. Then I tried the Coloplast Brava Thin rings #120307 and they are super ! They work with my Convatec Durahesive wafers and I also tried out the Coloplast deepest convex wafer with the seal,it held up for 5 days, but the pouch was too small and the belt truely Byzantine, so I’m going to stick with Durahesive and the Coloplast seals and a Hollister belt
Sandy in Indiana